My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently found this forum and it's my new favorite place on the net, I think I see more GT's in my future!
My question is this, I have the same 16/44 as Happyworld shows in his post http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=75420&highlight=16/44
The engine in mine after 20 plus years of me using (abusing?) it is worn to the point of needing to be repaced. The engine is a 16hp Briggs vertical shaft opposed twin.
My question is how exact do I need to be in looking for a new engine? A local dealer has a deal on a Kohler 20 hp engine that sounds pretty good, will I have a lot of trouble making it fit? I know I'll have to measure the shaft dia. and length to be sure it's even compatible, but are there other things that bite me in the a**? I'm not against needing to do some work in re-routing wiring or cables to make it work, but I just want to know if I'm barking up the wrong tree right from the start.
Any input that you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
main thing is the shaft diameter adn length. beyond that it can usually be made to work. my Craftsman GT came with a 15hp kohler, had a 12.5 briggs in it when i got it, and now has a 24hp briggs twin. funny thing was a custom mount was made for teh 12.5 briggs to fit, but the twin fit the orignal Kohler pattern!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David, I'm not sure what I'm worried about, it's not like I'm afraid of drilling some holes in 'er or anything.
I guess it's just good to hear that there isn't anything obvious to someone else as to why this might not work.

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
A buddy of mine is getting ready to do the almost the same thing. I was wondering why the shaft diameter and length makes a difference? Couldn't you go buy a difference pulley that is the same O.D. but the I.D. fits the different shaft? And as far as length, couldn't you just adjust the pulley up or down, and if need be weld something up if need be?

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. But my buddy is a major cheapskate, and wants to do it as cheap as possible, so if we find a really good deal on a motor that doesn't match up, then that's what will happen. But prolly, since he is using his dad's spare tractor, we can let it sit around till we find a good deal on a motor that will match up. Thanks for the advice.

Eric

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
Virtually all B&S vertical shaft engine from Lawn Mower/Lawn Tractors have the same Dia and length of crankshaft. Kohlers up thru 17 hp do also. (Same as B&S) Don't know about 20 hp Kohler.

The mounting holes of the 16 hp twin will fit B&S and Kohler singles EXCEPT that the single cylinder will have to set sideways, with the cylinder sticking out one side. IF you want it to face forward, you will need room under the hood AND will have to re-drill holes.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies, when I do find my new engine I'll try to post some pics of the exchange.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts