My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So most people on here seem to be pretty experienced mechanically, sadly I am not. Never really worked on small engines and not too familiar with small engines. The most I have really done is change spark plugs and oil. Anyone have a parts diagram of the suburbans? Also a quick breakdown of how each component interfaces would be greatly appreciated (example, I know what a fuel pump does stand alone, but no idea how it would be activated in this case, same thing with the carburetor, I know where it is, that it mixes fuel and air, but after that kinda lost) I drained gas and oil yesterday from my suburban 10 (i think a 67) that I bought, hooked up a battery and tried to start to see if it would turn. It doesnt sound like it is trying to turn over, but does make a sound. Hard to describe in writing, but I would say it is a slight "ka-chunk" sound, like a relay switching. What is my next step? Do I even bother checking for spark, or am i not to that point yet (I was thinking that it would still try to turn over without spark just not ignite and therefore run)? Could be totally mistaken. I loosened the bolts on the flywheel cover thinking I was going to try to hand turn it to see if it is seized, but it spun when I loosened bolts (not sure how hard it should be to turn, seemed like it was pretty tight). I tried reading a few threads about checking the solenoid and starter motor, but all seemed to have an assumed working knowledge of those components beforehand, of which I have none. The good news is that I have lots of wrenches, sockets, vice grips, a multimeter, and an eagerness to learn. I wanna get this guy in use for winter! Please help.

·
Premium Member
4,014 Posts
Would be a good idea to post some pics (front view, Left side and Right side) of your Suburban. That will help us identify it. Also there should be a model # plate behind the gear shift and below the seat (EXAMPLE: Model # should look something like 917.25200).

Here's the SEARS Parts Direct site that shows explode views of your model of tractor and available parts from SEARS. Just type in the model # of your tractor and click on model# for type of search (used my model as an example).

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...ts/Model-91725200/0247/1509200/00026811/00001

You already own and found the best two tools you can have. A computer to research things you do not know and you found MyTractorForum.com with it's knowledgeable members to answer your questions!

Here's a good start to your research on how small engines work!

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

On the starting issue, I would make sure the battery is fully charged by putting it on a battery charger. After the battery is fully charged then try cranking the engine again to see if it was a dead battery and what you were hearing was the contacts clacking inside the starter solenoid, without enough battery to turn the starter. If the Battery is good, then start at the ignition switch with your multimeter and start tracing out the starting circuit.

Hope this helps!

Keep us updated so more help can be provided. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if i am reading correctly, the Suburban 10 has an HH100 tecumseh engine? If thats the case, since the starter motor doesnt sound like it is turning at all, it sounds like I should jump the battery directly to the starter. Does this sound like the next logical step to you guys? If it doesnt even try to turn I am not even thinking about spark or compression yet right?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
you may want to take off the starter belt and make sure the starter works with no load on it at all. Have you verified that the motor is not locked up?

if you click on my free manuals link in my signature, I have manuals for some SS12 tractors that are 99% the same as yours. Download them for free.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I understand correctly if I can turn the flywheel then the engine isn't seized? If so I turned it fine

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
If I understand correctly if I can turn the flywheel then the engine isn't seized? If so I turned it fine
correct.

So try getting the starter to turn without a belt on it. Chances are, if your using the battery that was in the tractor it's no good. You can jump the starter with a battery charger to see if it works- just use the negative cable to the case of the starter where it bolts to the frame, and use the positive side to the terminal that has the fat battery cable on it. The problem with starting it like that is most battery chargers have at most a 60 amp "boost" and that is not enough to start the tractor- Most lawn and garden batteries have at least 220 cranking amps, then add the 60 amp boost and it turns pretty quickly. I have a 365 cranking amp battery in my tractor with an HH120 and that is about as small a battery as I would put.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
With a "new" old tractor, assume the existing wiring, battery and key switch are inoperable. Jump directly to the starter/gen to see what's what.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I should have stated I am using the fully charged battery off my Craftsman

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yes, if you can get the flywheel to rotate then it's not seized. You won't know the condition of rod and piston until you begin cranking it with the starter and then finally get it to fire. Don't get too overwhelmed, these really are simple contraptions. Get spark, air and gas and it will fire. I started out knowing nothing about small engines to replacing the rod on my Tecumseh last winter.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
If you know the battery is good, and the engine is free, you either have a bad starter/generator, or bad wiring. Try pull starting it

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you know the battery is good, and the engine is free, you either have a bad starter/generator, or bad wiring. Try pull starting it
Ha, goes to show how little I know, didnt even know the engine had a pull start. thought it was electric only

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
It doesnt "have" one per se.

Take a 4' long piece of rope, maybe 1/4-1/2" around, and wrap it counterclockwise on the engine pulley (right side of tractor if you are sitting on the tractor) turn the key on, and give it a good pull

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It doesnt "have" one per se.

Take a 4' long piece of rope, maybe 1/4-1/2" around, and wrap it counterclockwise on the engine pulley (right side of tractor if you are sitting on the tractor) turn the key on, and give it a good pull
Its funny just before you posted that I googled pull start hh100 and it took me to a thread on this site. Your explanation was a little better though. Is it that pully that looks like it is PTO? Is that where the horizontal shaft comes from? Thanks all/

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Yes, the pulley can also be referred to as the PTO pulley, since all the tractor powered attachments are driven off of it. The horizontal shaft refers to the orientation of the crankshaft in the engine.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
the pull start pulley is the pulley that has the starter generator belt on it. you can pull start it with the PTO pulley, but it is a bear with the compression release in these motors.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
On the "drivers side" you will notice the pulley that the starter/gen belt goes around has a knurl or notch. This is for placing the knotted end of a rope for pull-starting.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the "drivers side" you will notice the pulley that the starter/gen belt goes around has a knurl or notch. This is for placing the knotted end of a rope for pull-starting.
Ok so I tried using a ground cable as a jumper to the starter positive terminal, then with jumper cablesto My Craftsmans good battery. Nothing turned on the starter motor so I know I need to Investigate that. I tried to pull start the fly wheel, only got about half a turn, not much luck. Ill revisit that after I figure out the starter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts