My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a John Deere 790 and i was plowing snow and rolled it. It was on its side but also flipped over but not completely over. I am afraid the cylinders might have oil in them. any advice given on what I should do?

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
First, hopefully you stopped the engine ASAP, as, 4 cycle engines typically have a limited range of how far they can be tilted in any given direction and still lubricate everything correctly.

Second, to make sure there isn't much oil in the cylinders, is to remove the spark plugs and turn the engine over. If you want to be cautious, you may want to rotate the engine manually twice to make sure nothing is jammed anywhere, and then spin a bit with the starter to get most of the oil out of the cylinders (if there is any in them). Then, put in the plugs, and fire it up. Any remaining oil will quickly burn off.

·
Registered
347 Posts
THINK!!! Nothing to be seriously concerned about here, since the piston rings will not allow any oil and any oil to get pass the valve guides seals into the combustion chamber. Just don't keep the tractor on it's side for any length of time. I'm not familiar with the position of the V-twin on the X 790 where it sets as a vertical or horizontal one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thinkin this is a diesel in a CUT...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
THINK!!! Nothing to be seriously concerned about here, since the piston rings will not allow any oil and any oil to get pass the valve guides seals into the combustion chamber. Just don't keep the tractor on it's side for any length of time. I'm not familiar with the position of the V-twin on the X 790 where it sets as a vertical or horizontal one.
This is a 790 compact tractor with a Yanmar 3-cylinder in-line diesel engine.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The advice still applies ---- remove the glow plugs and rotate the engine by hand. Make sure that it rotates freely by hand before you do anything else. Check the oil level in the engine and water level in radiator. If it rotates freely by hand, bump it with the starter to make sure the cylinders are clean. Reinstall the glow plugs and then try to start it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts