My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
75 Ford LGT 125 K301

When I engage the PTO my engine has an initial slowing and then if I am running the mower deck or the snowblower the engine has a hard time keeping up. The engine labors and loses power....When I am snowblowing it could be in only 8 inches of snow and it bogs the engine quite a bit....

Does this happen to anyone else?

I have asked a similar question before but I have done everything that has been suggested with no improvement.

This means... Gov set right, Carb rebuilt, had rings, valves, rod, piston, coil, plugs, head gasket all replaced by reputable small engine repair shop.

However the guy did show me the block where a prior rod had cracked the bottom of the cylinder wall. I told him to fix it anyway he was unsure how successful it would be...

There is a knock in the engine sounds to me like piston slap...

I am thinking I have minute cracks in other places in the block or the cylinder wall and the engine is losing compression..

Any helpful thoughts?

·
Registered
247 Posts
-You could have low compression
-fouled plug
-Or the most probable is a "LEAN" set carb(turn the main jet out 1/8" or so and test)

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
There is a knock in the engine sounds to me like piston slap...

?

That noise that sounds like piston slap is probably normal.

I was concerned about my engine sounding that way but apparently it is a phenomena known affectionately as the "Kohler knock"

I would echo the previous poster and also recommend checking the needle settings for a lean condition. Even if the carb has been rebuilt and is like new again, the fuel mixture could cause the loss of power, does your engine typically run hot also?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have done the adjustment procedure word for word out of the book a couple times.. along with the governor adj too...

But I haven't been able to get the main jet out of the carb and when I repaired my throttle shaft I couldn't get all of the play out...

I am not ruling out the carb though I am going to try to get the main jet out and clean and then re-adjust...

It does labor at full throttle all the time.... and I have even tried different gas tanks and even different carbs. with no luck...

I am going to troubleshoot the fuel delivery, clean the tank, go through the carb and keep fingers crossed...

·
15,000 +posts!
20,543 Posts
Maybe check the valve adjustment,and ensure the valves are opening fully--its rare but cam lobes can scuff down and reduce valve lift,that will restrict the amount of fuel/air mix that can get in (or out) of the engine and limit performamce,yet still run smoothly and show good compression..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all of your help.. I have checked and rechecked the valves, they're just right and confirmed by engine shop.. So bumma that is not it..
I have a fresh coil, fresh oil, new points, new plug, Head gasket is new and good shape...

I guess I think I have covered all the possible bases besides new block...

I am going to try the carb one more time tomorrow

Again thanks for the replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts