My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased backhoe advertised at the auction as a "Ford 4500 gas engine backhoe". No book, no paperwork on it. When I went to get it, apparently the gas engine had been replaced with a diesel engine. It requires an overhaul, but I do not know what engine I have. How do I figure out what it is so I can get the correct parts the first time?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
No way of knowing whether it had a diesel or gas engine originally if all you are going on was the auction listing claiming it had a gas engine, as that is obviously incorrect. A 4500 was available with both a gas and a diesel engine during the entire production run when it was made from 1965 through 1975. In either case it would be a 201 cubic inch engine with a 4.4 inch bore x 4.4 inch stroke. To guarantee that is what it is, look on the right side of the block down low, just above the oil pan. There should be a smooth rail there running front-to-back that has a taller section about halfway along it's length. The engine serial number should be stamped into that taller section of that flat rail. If it is a 201 ci engine made for a 4000 series tractor (the 4500 was the industrial model within the 4000 series), then the first letter of that serial number should be a P or a D. If it is a P then it was made before April 1 1968, and if it is a D then it was made on or after April 1 1968. If it is a diesel then the second letter should be a D. If it is a gas engine then there should be no second letter and the rest should all be numerals. There should also be a date code off to the right of the serial number that can tell us when the engine was assembled. Here is a picture of a 5000 series engine with a red circle around the area where the engine serial number should be stamped The 5000 series engine is identical to the 4000 series except that it has 4 cylinders instead of 3:

Remember, the number should be stamped into the metal. Any numbers that are raised up are casting numbers and those are not the number you are looking for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Numbers on the tractor tell me it was and industrial tractor and rolled off the assembly June of 1971 with a gas engine. That means at some time the engine was replaced with a diesel. It is definitly a 3 cylinder diesel engine and it is reqiring an overhaul. I am having a difficult time decoding the numbers on the engine so I can get the correct parts. Someone suggested it was a 1990, but I can't find any lists of numbers for them. It could have come out of anything. Where do I look to get the information I need. Numbers on the block are A A(or 4, not sure) 60K0 2L 28A, HG1 2H41,BA, F0NN6015, and a circle of A, B, C, D with the arrow pointing to to the A. Thank you for any information or direction you can give me.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
F0NN6015 is the casting number for the engine block. The F0 at the beginning says that casting was designed in 1990, so it was definitely made in 1990 or later years, as they used the same casting design for several years.

Is there a stamped serial number down where that red oval is in the picture I posted. The letters and numbers will be stamped into the metal, not raised up and they will be considerably smaller than the raised casting numbers that you already posted.

Also, check up on the valve cover for a sticker. If it was a crate engine there should be an identifying sticker there.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
A K makes sense. Since it is a later (1990+) engine it was made for the "K" series of tractors, which included the 4100, 4110, 4130 ag chassis tractors as well as the 420, 445, 445A, 445C, 455 and 455C industrial tractor. Unfortunatley that only narrows it down to 2 possible engine displacements. Most of those K series tractors had the 183 ci engine, which is 4.2" bore x 4.4" stroke, but a few had the 201 ci engine with the 4.4" bore x 4.4" stroke. Only way to tell for sure which it is would be to pull the head and measure the bore.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I finally found someone who works on these engines all of the time and have the overhaul kit ordered. When he was helping me figure out what I have I found out the cast number was pretty much a generic. (Could it be who cast it, not what they cast?) Mine is a 3 cylinder Ford engine. He showed me a 6 cylinder engine out of a 74 (original engine) with the same cast numbers F0NN6015 as mine.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
An engine out of a '74 tractor couldn't have originally had an engine with a F0NN6015 casting number. The F0 at the beginning says that the casting itself was deigned in 1990.

The first letter is the decade, C was the 1960's, D was the 1970's E was the 1980's and F was the 1990's. The second character is the year within the decade, so F0 is 1990.

The NN simply means that it was designed by the engineers in the tractor division of the Ford motor company to be used by the tractor division. 6015 is a generic number meaning engine block. If it was the first or only engine block casting designed by the tractor division for the tractor division in 1990 then it would simply be F0NN6015. If there were more than one engine block casting designed by the tractor division for the tractor division in the same year the ones designed after the first one would have one, two or three additional letters off to the right, but sometimes there is a bit of a gap before the additional letter(s), so they may not look like they are part of the same number, but they are. Each engine block casting number in total should be unique, so the casting numbers for a 3 cylinder and 6 cylinder block cannot both be F0NN6015. One or both of them must have additional letters off to the right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No way of knowing whether it had a diesel or gas engine originally if all you are going on was the auction listing claiming it had a gas engine, as that is obviously incorrect. A 4500 was available with both a gas and a diesel engine during the entire production run when it was made from 1965 through 1975. In either case it would be a 201 cubic inch engine with a 4.4 inch bore x 4.4 inch stroke. To guarantee that is what it is, look on the right side of the block down low, just above the oil pan. There should be a smooth rail there running front-to-back that has a taller section about halfway along it's length. The engine serial number should be stamped into that taller section of that flat rail. If it is a 201 ci engine made for a 4000 series tractor (the 4500 was the industrial model within the 4000 series), then the first letter of that serial number should be a P or a D. If it is a P then it was made before April 1 1968, and if it is a D then it was made on or after April 1 1968. If it is a diesel then the second letter should be a D. If it is a gas engine then there should be no second letter and the rest should all be numerals. There should also be a date code off to the right of the serial number that can tell us when the engine was assembled. Here is a picture of a 5000 series engine with a red circle around the area where the engine serial number should be stamped The 5000 series engine is identical to the 4000 series except that it has 4 cylinders instead of 3:

View attachment 2495683

Remember, the number should be stamped into the metal. Any numbers that are raised up are casting numbers and those are not the number you are looking for.
is there any publications online or elsewhere that has all the info breaking down the serial number on these engines?

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
is there any publications online or elsewhere that has all the info breaking down the serial number on these engines?
Nothing that I am aware of other than the letter at the beginning of the engine serial number matched the letter at the beginning of the model designator starting on 4/1/1968 and they continued that practice through at least 1993. The rest of the engine serial number is just a sequential number for that series of engines.

Or are you actually asking about the engine casting numbers? The engine serial number is stamped into the metal and consists of a single letter followed by a 6 digit number. The casting number is larger and is raised up as it is part of the casting of the engine. A typical casting number for an engine block starts with a single letter, then a single number then two letters and then 6015. The firs letter is the decade, C=1960's, D=1970's, E=1980's and F=1990's. The number after the first letter is the year within the decade, so some examples of the first two characters indicating a specific year would be C8=1968, D0=1970, E5=1985 and F4=1994. Those years are simply the years that the specific casting was designed, not when the block was cast or assembled, just when that particular casting was designed.

The next two letters indicate which division within the Ford motor company the design was made for, and which division actually created the design. Most tractor engines were designed by the tractotr division for the tractor division, so those letters are usually NN, but I have seen a few that are NE, which indicates that the separate engine division designed it for the tractor division.

The 6015 is just an indication of which part it is, and 6015=engine block.

If there were several engines designed in the same year by the same division for the same division, meaning that the entire casting number is the same for two or more different engines, there will be one or two additional letters off to the right, which indicate which specific design it was within that year. Those additional letters are sometimes a few inches off to the rtight, so most folks don't realize they are part of the casting number.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nothing that I am aware of other than the letter at the beginning of the engine serial number matched the letter at the beginning of the model designator starting on 4/1/1968 and they continued that practice through at least 1993. The rest of the engine serial number is just a sequential number for that series of engines.

Or are you actually asking about the engine casting numbers? The engine serial number is stamped into the metal and consists of a single letter followed by a 6 digit number. The casting number is larger and is raised up as it is part of the casting of the engine. A typical casting number for an engine block starts with a single letter, then a single number then two letters and then 6015. The firs letter is the decade, C=1960's, D=1970's, E=1980's and F=1990's. The number after the first letter is the year within the decade, so some examples of the first two characters indicating a specific year would be C8=1968, D0=1970, E5=1985 and F4=1994. Those years are simply the years that the specific casting was designed, not when the block was cast or assembled, just when that particular casting was designed.

The next two letters indicate which division within the Ford motor company the design was made for, and which division actually created the design. Most tractor engines were designed by the tractotr division for the tractor division, so those letters are usually NN, but I have seen a few that are NE, which indicates that the separate engine division designed it for the tractor division.

The 6015 is just an indication of which part it is, and 6015=engine block.

If there were several engines designed in the same year by the same division for the same division, meaning that the entire casting number is the same for two or more different engines, there will be one or two additional letters off to the right, which indicate which specific design it was within that year. Those additional letters are sometimes a few inches off to the rtight, so most folks don't realize they are part of the casting number.
I was wondering about the serial number or whatever other numbers would tell me what the motor came out of. I’ve seen where you have taken other numbers people gave you and were able to tell them what series tractor the motor was built for. Just curious if there was somewhere online to find that info or if it was all just knowledge you had stored up haha.

I have a 2910 that’s blown up and I’ve got a 3cyl donor motor for it, I just don’t know what it came out of.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
On the right side of the block is the raised casting number. If you do a Google search on that, including any additional letters off to the right of the 6015, you will usually be able to find hits from Google linking to the same engine for sale from a few sites that will tell you the displacement. Any 3 cylinder Ford tractor motor should bolt right up to the front axle support and transmission from your 2910, but a few things may not work depending on the year of the block. For instance, engines made before mid-1970 won't have the proper port next to the oil filter to be able to mount up. A 4xxx series engine is going to produce a lot more horsepower than the original 2910 engine, so if that is what it is, just be careful to not try to do more work than the front or rear axles can handle, as the engine can put out enough hp to damage those components. If you can post the numbers you found on the replacement engine, I might be able to help figure out what it is.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
The D at the beginning means that it is from a 4xxx series tractor, like a 4000, 4600, 4610, etc. It is most likely a 201 cubic inch engine with a 4.4" bore x 4.4" stroke and produces abut 55 to 60 hp at the flywheel and 52 to 55 hp at the PTO and 49 to 53 hp at the drawbar (power from the rear wheels to the ground). Your 2910 originally had a 175 ci engine with 4.2" bore x 4.2" stroke and only produced around 40 hp at the flywheel, 36 hp at the PTO and 29 PTO at the drawbar. 904508 is a fairly late serial number so it is most likely from a 4610 or 4630, which means that it is toward the higher end of the hp range I listed above. It should work fine in your 2910 as log as you don't try to do anything that the front or rear axles cannot handle. Just remember that engine can apply a bit more than 50% more hp to the rear wheels than the original engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts