My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1951 Ford 8n. When going uphill or downhill the RPMs go crazy. It revs and stalls, revs and stalls. Is this a float issue in the carb or is it a governor issue? The tachometer is trash, so I can't tell what the actual rpms are.

I just bought this tractor, seems to run on the level pretty nice... not much of my property is level. Need to fix this.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Sounds like the govenor from what little until you give. What is it doing when worked with a bush hog or something that varies the engine load?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Be the govenor then, at least thats my opinion. Time to pull it and look for flat spots on the balls & check the race.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Yes, but easy to make can use silicon but not recommended. However you are probably going to need other parts so order them at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Check with the site sponsors, Steiners who help suppor this site would be a good place to start or you can check with Just 8N's. But I would open the governor up to be sure of what parts are actually needed to repair it. It won't be down long as shipping does not take that long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts