My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of a engine rebuild and wondering what the current methods are for cleaning the block/head/oilpan etc... This is the first rebuild of any kind I am doing and plan on calling a few local machine shops to get estimates etc...

Just looking for a heads up on what to look out for and what a general reasonable cost estimate should be running or cost range. Was looking for a general cleaning as everything looks ok, or am I wrong.

Any input is appreciated

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
31,836 Posts
I had mine tanked at the machine shop. Thats the way to go if your doing a full rebuild. Got out all the rust, and scale, and all the oil, and sludge, and was left with a nice clean, easy to work with block.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hot tanking is the best - but quickly becoming difficult due to EPA regulations. The next common is pressure washing. They set your block up in a cabinet and high pressure jets shoot at the block as it spins. Pretty effective for the outside, but only maginally so on the inside. The last is soda blasting. VERY good for getting rust and crud out of the inside and outside, but much more labor intensive (read $$$).

I usually strip the block and mount on a engine stand that spins to turn the block upside down. Then I get in there with coat hangers, screwdrivers, and anything else I can find to break the rust and crud up through the water holes and welsch plug openings, then spin the block upside down and watch all the stuff fall out. Usually do this for hours - you will really be surprised how much stuff you can get out of a block. I usually follow up blowing it out with my air compressor (do this outside - stuff will fly everywhere). Then, just have it pressure washed.

As far as the external stuff like oil pans - just clean it up with brake cleaner and a lot of paper towels.

Good luck,
Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hot tanking is the best - but quickly becoming difficult due to EPA regulations. The next common is pressure washing. They set your block up in a cabinet and high pressure jets shoot at the block as it spins. Pretty effective for the outside, but only maginally so on the inside. The last is soda blasting. VERY good for getting rust and crud out of the inside and outside, but much more labor intensive (read $$$).

I usually strip the block and mount on a engine stand that spins to turn the block upside down. Then I get in there with coat hangers, screwdrivers, and anything else I can find to break the rust and crud up through the water holes and welsch plug openings, then spin the block upside down and watch all the stuff fall out. Usually do this for hours - you will really be surprised how much stuff you can get out of a block. I usually follow up blowing it out with my air compressor (do this outside - stuff will fly everywhere). Then, just have it pressure washed.

As far as the external stuff like oil pans - just clean it up with brake cleaner and a lot of paper towels.

Good luck,
Dan
Don't desil or kero work just as well for getting the heavy grease off .....Chris.....

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes - diesel and kerosene does get off oil and sludge (grease - not so much). It takes a lot more elbow grease, but is a cheaper solvent. I use many cans of the cheap WalMart brake cleaner in my shop just because it is CHEAP and cuts down on time and manual labor.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
doolar store oven cleaner works good too!

on a side note.. I've found out that engine-bright cleaner ( spray can) is almosts as good a penetrant as pb oil!

soundguy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts