My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 71 Custom 10xl. When I got the tractor it did not have an engine. I am installing a HH100 engine from a Sears Suburban Tractor. I set the engine in the tractor tonight and besides drilling new holes it should work. The only problem I see is the engine sits too low and I have to modify the top engine mounting plate. So, does anyone know the size of the adapter plates that came with these tractors so I can make one. The parts diagram shows a plate that goes under the engine to raise it up. I know on the 70's they had small little bushing type spacers that the engine sat on. Any help would be great !!! Thanks Pete

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The steel/bushing type spacers are 3/4's tall. I'm not sure if the plate was the same. By putting your engine and measuring the top space between the head and top mount should tell you.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. The top mount is from the Suburban and doesn't line up for the custom. I can make it work by drilling new holes. Just have to set the engine in the right spot and then mark it and drill it. Thanks, I will try the 3/4" first. You dont have any of the original spacers small fry do you ? Pete

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I'm sure you've thought of it,but if you mark where shaft was(from front to back) you will be able to use a stock belt.Lining up at least one mounting hole may give you that distance from the transaxle.I use a string around trans.pully to engine for belt lineup if all new holes are to be drilled.works for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Someone must have a few different engines in this tractor because there are several holes already drilled and someone did a poor job at that !!!! Now just need to get the engine up so that the starter/generator fits into the right spot and get all lined up and drill new holes if needed !! Pete

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I can measure the mounting holes if your not sure which to use. Make it a lot easier if you can use the stock belt.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
From the flywheel side of the frame, the "front" mount holes are 2 and 6 inches.

From the the front edge of the frame they are 2 1/4 back.

From there you can get find the right rear hole. They are closer together.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Small Fry. I will let you know how it works out. Still making the adapter plate and the modifying the top engine mount plate.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Those measurments are using the spacers which are right under the block bolt holes.

Not sure if thats how your adapter is going to mount.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well got the engine all mounted up and it is all bolted down. Now have to finish the wiring and finish rebuilding the carb. Lots of little stuff to do. Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts