My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tractor newb
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is mainly a curiosity question but I am going to ask it anyway.

when engaging the deck with the pto switch is it safe to toggle the switch to on at speed or do I need to lower it to idle before i flip the switch.

I have been reducing my 165 to 1/3 power before engaging the deck and it seems okay but every once in a while I forget and flip the switch with the engine at full speed. It still seems okay but I am afraid that I may ruin the pto by doing that.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I do the same thing. The less difference in speed when you engage the clutch the less it will slip before it locks in. It may not make it last all that much longer but it makes me feel better.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
I engage it at just below half throttle, as mentioned, it may not make it last any longer but I feel better doing it that way too :).

·
Super Moderator
32,697 Posts
I engage mine just above idle, figure it will allow the belts to get to speed within the shock absorbtion of the idler pulley! If I do it higher speeds I always smell a little burnt rubber smell!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'll also say that I think the manual is wrong. Here's a thread from a while a go and if you read my post where I emailed JD, they clearly say to engage at half throttle.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=126868
If you reed the E-Mail it states they look in the manual. But what manual for what year & what model? a 318 may be Engineered different then an X728
Dave

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
My bad. Reread the 175, 180/185 manual and it recommends engaging the PTO at 1/4 throttle. Then again, 10 years and 4 machines without PTO failure says you can get away with it at WOT too. Good thing I have a spare PTO...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I always try to engage the deck at about 1/3 throttle or so, and I think that is definitely better on the clutch. However, if a person engages the deck with the throttle low enough that it causes the engine to almost stall, I don't think that is particularly good for the engine either. So, it's kind of a case of trying to find that exact "sweet spot" in the throttle.:fing32:

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
On my Lt133 you engage with a lever at 1/3 throttle. On my LA175 it is a knob you pull. It has to be at a higher rpm or it will kill the engine.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I didn't see what my X500 manual says but I know the old LX280 said to engage about 2/3 throttle or something like that. If you enganged it at full throttle she would really squeal. The 500 doesn't complain either way but I'll be doin it below full throttle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts