My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have a mid 80's Murray GT with the Briggs twin engine. It hasn't been run in a while due to a dead battery so I got it started today in prep for putting the snowblower back on and after starting it, I realized I couldn't stop the motor.

Put throttle to idle and closed the choke and it just idles nice and slow. Finally I shorted both plugs to ground with a pair of screwdrivers and that did it. There is a white wire coming back from somewhere inside the engine and I have a hunch that's the solution to my problem. The connector is just dangling in mid air and I'm not sure where it goes. There is no obvious contact for it to plug into. I do have the manual (in a 3-ring binder) but it is missing a wiring diagram.

I seem to remember this happened the very last time I started it (a year ago!), but I was able to shut it off by closing the throttle, so I never gave it a second thought.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From reading a few threads in other forums it looks like that white wire should be grounded when the key is OFF to kill the ignition. There's an open lug on the key switch, I'll test it for ground when I get a chance.

·
Banned
271 Posts
That sounds like your kill wire... If you start it up and ground that wire it should kill the ignition.

If that wire came off the ignition switch... Then as they say... There's your problem!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts