My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does a Briggs Endurance stack up against a Vanguard or other available engines. Is it reliable/durable?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Vanguard will beat it up and down for the next 30+ years. Mine has 1130 hours on it and runs like new.

The Vanguard is a commercial engine, and the Endurance is a residential motor.

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
I prefer Vanguard or I/C and only,I mean only,Endurance for the occasionally lightly used equipment.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the Endurance a decent engine for my one acre yard? How does it compare to a Kohler Courage or a Kawasaki? I don't think the Vanguard is in my price range.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Kohler Courage, Kawasaki, and Vanguard all beat the Endurance.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Kohler Courage, Kawasaki, and Vanguard all beat the Endurance.
In fairness, all three which PurplDodge mention are commercial engines with price tags to reflect the same.

Well cared for and used within design limits, you can expect 7-10 years out of your endurance. Abused, you can expect two seasons out of it - maybe.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
In all fairness, the Kohler isnt.

·
Registered
266 Posts
In fairness, all three which PurplDodge mention are commercial engines with price tags to reflect the same.

Well cared for and used within design limits, you can expect 7-10 years out of your endurance. Abused, you can expect two seasons out of it - maybe.
I dont know a thing about the Endurance engine but I was getting about 7 to 8 years out of the older flat head briggs engines. This was before the better ones came out like the Vanguard ect..... I would estimate the hours to be in the 400 to 500 range before they were shot. Bear in mind these were the cheapest briggs engines ever made. I changed oil, kept the filters clean ect and tried to take care of them but I also ran the **** out of them. So, you are pretty much spot on.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I have a couple of those old flat head splash lube boxers with way over 400 hours. They have not had rough lives though.

I have a 38 year old Briggs with Lord only knows how many hours, which runs like a scalded dog. See my 8 year old son with a tractor 30 years his senior:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQtE18e7MU

These entry level engines, if folks want to call them that, are here for a reason - they don't want to pay $5,000 for a riding lawn mower. Also since many homeowners are in their homes a mere 5-10 years, a 5-10 year mower is just fine by them.

Think about it. The cheapest thing with a Vanguard, Command, or Kawi is $3,000 and up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts