My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave my pup the end of a rawhide bone, the kind with the knot end. I always pull it away before it gets too small... well, ALMOST always now.
He was chewing the rawhide and swallowed the dang thing:fing20: it was barely chewed on and pretty big, he'd only had it about 10 minutes, so i didnt know if it was still in a knot or flat.

he started choking, trying to throw up, he hurled a few times but didnt toss up the bone. i felt it stuck in his throat as a big lump. when i squeezed his stomach, he weezed out his mouth (like the bone had his airway open) i shot down to the vet, but by the time i got there, he'd worked the thing the rest of the way down his throat. he was breathing ok, now and his airway was normal - not hissing or weeking.

we xrayed him and its in his stomach - from the xray it looked about the size of a peach. still in a knot. he said he felt bo would pass it and gave him some dense canned food to help move it along. if it does not pass by monday, im bringing him by early monday, he'll do another xray to see if its moved.

he said he could remove it, but since it was round not pointy, he thought it will pass and suggested we wait... ill be anxiously awaiting a rawhide 'movement' :ROF

it was my fault, i know rawhide is potentially bad, but i usually catch it before he eats the thing... he was too fast for me this time -

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Hope it all goes OK John .. Its good that the doc was not worried about it clogging anything up. You would think it would for sure being that big

DR knows best :fing32:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Might have to get a slide rule to work out the math on that one! :biglaugh:

Poor fella. I wouldn't want to have pass something that size, but the risk of surgery, well, tough call.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

·
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he just 'went' no rawhide, but at least theres no blockage yet. i just gave him 2 cans of the vets fiber food... we'll see what comes out today.

:thanku::thanku:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I think it was Ron White the comedian whos dog slugo passed a pair of golf gloves once or so he claimed .

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
" Get 'em up, move 'em out ! RAWHIIIIDE ! " Let's hope Bo gets it "going" soon ! Really hope so.

·
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Give him lots of liquids. It will turn very soft and pass...
yup i'm doing that. actually with wet food. Hes had into his 3rd can. we just got a chicken, i boil it and give him the meat and broth w/his dry. :thanku: no bones though :ROF :fing20:

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Well keep checking John, inquiring minds want to know when the blessed event occurs. Pics...... well no, scratch that, we really don't need pics :D.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
" Get 'em up, move 'em out ! RAWHIIIIDE ! " Let's hope Bo gets it "going" soon ! Really hope so.
:sidelaugh

As Jim said, looking forward to hearing of the event! My little dog also forgets to chew sometimes. The last time, she briefly choked on a meatball.:ROF

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Keep us posted and we'll keep hoping everything comes out ok,both the rawhide and your dog!:fing32:

·
Registered
339 Posts
he just 'went' no rawhide, but at least theres no blockage yet. i just gave him 2 cans of the vets fiber food... we'll see what comes out today.

:thanku::thanku:
The joys of pet ownership. Our greater swiss mountain dog ate the edging off a piece of carpet.

That was just great when you had to help to "clear" :Stop:

Hope you dog does fine :fing32:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Just wondering John .. Did you try to swallow the same size hunk of rawhide, to see if you could pass it ??

I dont know why .. but just had a flash back to the dog for tasting thread :D:D Seems you will do anything for your pups :fing32:

Hope it all works out fine for him

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
:wwp: NOT! Hope all goes well.

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
SJ hope everything comes out in the end! We're very careful with chew toys and treats for our dogs! Have had to remove chew toys stuck in their throats many times!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts