My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this has a plug for four different things,would this work with out having a resistor, and electronic ignition.This came off a subaru and says delco remy on it. If it is all self contained, would be alot easier.:thanku:

·
Registered
524 Posts
looks like the coil on my 95 chevy truck. you would have to check the factory wiring to see how the computer is triggering the coil.

·
Registered
524 Posts
how is the wireing on your chevy truck.does it trigger off the coil.
i will have to look in my book, i beleive one is 12v, one ground, one tach, and one to the computer. the cam sensor sends a signal to the comp and it takes over from there. i just can't remember if the computer supplies power or a ground reference signal to fire the coil

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
doesn,t any other electron wizzarts have anything to add to this .this could be everyones salvation.that owns a ssi that is.come on put your thinking caps on.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
doesn,t any other electron wizzarts have anything to add to this .this could be everyones salvation.that owns a ssi that is.come on put your thinking caps on.
I will take a stab at it, but this coil pack will need something to tell it when to fire (IE the stock computer.) You will still need a CPS (Crank Position Sensor) to tell something when to fire, and something to read that and send a signal to the coil to fire. The early electronic ignition systems like the 1970's Chrysler, of the recent work here with the 1980's Ford system are still a very basic electronic computer that just controls the spark. Newer modern coils are fired by much more complex computer systems. You may be able to use the coil pack, but it will just be replacing the standard round coil that was used for decades. The coil pack shown is not "smart" enough to fire with an input from a CPS alone.

Another swap that could be used and would look really cool, would be a high-performance ignition system like the Mallory Ignition systems

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
did 85 subaru,s have computers.I can,t remember.so this thing is just about useless .other than supplying spark like anyother coil.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts
It's not as much if it's a "computer" or not really. EVERY non-points ignition uses some sort of an electronic ignition (Even the Tecumseh SSI is electronic) What you need to look into and see, is what sort of electronic ignition it is. Most newer cars have combined the rather simple spark controls into a larger, more complex system. In theory, I guess you could find the only circuit that runs the ignition and use a modern computer, but it is just way too advanced to figure it out to run it for our tractors that way.

I would have to assume that there are many 1970's to late 1980's simple electronic ignition systems that could be made to work. If the system uses a magnetic pick-up coil to read the fire point, the rest just needs to be wired properly to control and fire the spark. The coil pack is stupid really, it does not care how often it needs to fire, just tell it to fire and it will fire it. The pick up coil off the flywheel is what tells the control box when to fire. Now I will be honest, I am not 100% sure what the fly wheel need's both pins for with the replacement ignitions, or if it even reads the shorter pin. But If the flywheel was drilled, you should be able to put the auto ignition onto any motor by adding a flywheel pin. (unless the magneto magnet messes up the pick up sensor.

·
Red Tractor Fan
1,704 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I would have to assume that there are many 1970's to late 1980's simple electronic ignition systems that could be made to work. If the system uses a magnetic pick-up coil to read the fire point, the rest just needs to be wired properly to control and fire the spark. The coil pack is stupid really, it does not care how often it needs to fire, just tell it to fire and it will fire it. The pick up coil off the flywheel is what tells the control box when to fire. Now I will be honest, I am not 100% sure what the fly wheel need's both pins for with the replacement ignitions, or if it even reads the shorter pin. But If the flywheel was drilled, you should be able to put the auto ignition onto any motor by adding a flywheel pin. (unless the magneto magnet messes up the pick up sensor.
The idea behind the 2 pins was the longer pin works during cranking (engine starting) and the shorter pin would not send a signal until a higher RPM.
Longer pin sends a retarded spark.
Shorter pin sends an advanced spark.

At a high RPM whether or not you got 2 sparks I don't know.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
But If the flywheel was drilled, you should be able to put the auto ignition onto any motor by adding a flywheel pin. (unless the magneto magnet messes up the pick up sensor.
The magnets will not affect the pickup. Motorcycle/ATV engines have the stator under the flywheel & a trigger plate welded onto the outer of the flywheel, magnets just underneath.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The old Ford system also has a spark retard feature when cranking, I think it's the white wire if I remember.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts