My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

After reading the thread on sand-blasters I thought I'd share something different that worked for me. I have used siphon blasters, small pressure pots, and a trailer compressor driven pot that held 500 lbs of black beauty. I ran several thousand lbs through that beast.

When I was rebuilding my 1960 JD 440 dozer I got turned onto removing rust with Electrolysis. I will not take the time to explain it here. Google "Electrolysis rust removal" and you get many sites which explain it with pics. What I can say, is that it works fantastic. I literally soaked my entire dozer in the tank piece by piece.

You place your part in the tank, turn on your charger (roll around garage style works best), and come by in the morning. Pull the part out, stiff nylon brush and hose...and you have bare metal. Of course you do need to dry the part or it will rust up overnight. To prevent rust, you can research spraying with phosphoric acid or something like a commercially available metal prep. Personally I sprayed everything with phosphoric acid. Weeks later I would prep with a scotch brite, and then prime. 6 years later I have not had any paint lift. For some pics of the project, including parts as the looked after dipping, cut and paste the following link:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/306450193tGIjIE

Sounds crazy, but it does work, the solution and the charger do the work for you and your not dealing with the sandblaster.

Jack

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes it works. I do hit&miss engine restoration and have put the whole engine in the tank (would not fit in my bead blaster) to get rid of rust. Hardest thing I ever used it on was a Baker Monitor deep well pump, it was so tall I had could only do half at a time. The big problem was hanging it upside down to get the top of the pump.

BUD

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,733 Posts
I use a 42 gallon plastic garbage can. Big enouhg to do a 500/5000/Pro hood if you flip it over once.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear other folks are doing it too. I had a 55 gallon drum set up. One winter I ran two batches of parts through the tank every day for 3 weeks. I use LYE in mine. I need to set up a smaller tank again for the Gravely parts.

Jack

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Yes, good stuff. I pick up all of my sacrificial anodes at garage sales, mostly pizza pans and cookie sheets...lotsa surface area there!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
How does it do on removing the paint at the same time as the rust. I have a deck that needs to be redone. I cant find a local sandblaster around here so I would like to try this.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have not used it on any tractor parts yet, but I have used it to remove rust from old gun parts. It will remove the rust without harming the bluing. Very good stuff!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey Guys,

After reading the thread on sand-blasters I thought I'd share something different that worked for me. I have used siphon blasters, small pressure pots, and a trailer compressor driven pot that held 500 lbs of black beauty. I ran several thousand lbs through that beast.

When I was rebuilding my 1960 JD 440 dozer I got turned onto removing rust with Electrolysis. I will not take the time to explain it here. Google "Electrolysis rust removal" and you get many sites which explain it with pics. What I can say, is that it works fantastic. I literally soaked my entire dozer in the tank piece by piece.

You place your part in the tank, turn on your charger (roll around garage style works best), and come by in the morning. Pull the part out, stiff nylon brush and hose...and you have bare metal. Of course you do need to dry the part or it will rust up overnight. To prevent rust, you can research spraying with phosphoric acid or something like a commercially available metal prep. Personally I sprayed everything with phosphoric acid. Weeks later I would prep with a scotch brite, and then prime. 6 years later I have not had any paint lift. For some pics of the project, including parts as the looked after dipping, cut and paste the following link:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/306450193tGIjIE

Sounds crazy, but it does work, the solution and the charger do the work for you and your not dealing with the sandblaster.

Jack
I have a starter from a gravely L that is very rusted. The tractor sat outside for several years. Can I use this process on the starter?

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
A couple comments. I've been using the procedure for years.
An external box for a water softener works for long items.
A hard plastic kiddy wading pool works for larger real tractor wheels.
Tri Sodium Phosphate, (sp) TSP works as good as anything I've found and it will take paint off.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yes, I agree with raystasch. TSP will remove the paint. I use a large 4x4 insulated plastic fish box. You guys that live inland probably never see them. They hold about 250 gal. I cut to length and use my old snow plow cutting edges for anodes. Great surface area and they last forever. The E-tank however, does poorly on paint removal for rough castings such as wheel weights. I found a 12volt.40 amp power inverter and hooked that up through a regular automotive amp gauge. With a fresh charge of TSP it puts out about 10-15 amps DC. The TSP does "wear out" you can determine this when the amps drop to about 4-5. Don't ask me how it all works.It just does. It must be magic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts