My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I didn't see an electrical sub forum so hopefully this is an o.k. place to ask this question.

I just purchased a White GT1855 and have some weird electrical issues. When it comes to electrical I'll admit, I'm not the greatest at diagnosing problems so I'm hoping that someone can lend a hand, here it goes.

I Put a new battery in it last night. At first it wouldn't turn over once the new battery was in (maybe the new battery needed a charge even though the guy at AutoZone said it didn't) so I hooked up the charger and jumped it. Fired right up. With it running, when I flip the lights on it will stay running strong for about 15 seconds then start to bog down and then stall. Then it won't start at all, completely dead, no turn over, no lights, no nothing. If I wait a minute or two and hit the key it makes a groaning sound and no turn over. Hit the key a second time and same thing. Hit it a third time and fires right up. With it running, no lights, runs good no issues. Amp meter I believe is shot, it stays around ten no matter what is on or running. I put my tester on it and get different readings. With it running it pegged the needle way over 16 volts, flip the lights on and it drops to under 10. Very weird. The next time it may read charging around 13.5 (low) and drop barely with lights on which would appear a little more normal than pegging the needle. But I'm not sure what type of amperage this unit should be putting out so I'm kind of in the dark.

It looks like a flasher was installed at some point in it's life too. I know that a city municipality owned this machine and plowed sidewalks with it for many years. I'm thinking they installed the flasher.

Any insight or direction on this issue would be very much appreciated.:trink39:

·
Premium Member
8,076 Posts
Sounds like there may be a few things wrong. If it's getting 16 volts at the battery when it's running, and it drops way down when the lights are on, then the voltage regulator is bad or missing. The (not) starting problem may be the starter, or it may be dirty contacts or under sized wires from the battery to the starter.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like there may be a few things wrong. If it's getting 16 volts at the battery when it's running, and it drops way down when the lights are on, then the voltage regulator is bad or missing. The (not) starting problem may be the starter, or it may be dirty contacts or under sized wires from the battery to the starter.
Thanks for your reply.

Any idea where I could get a new voltage regulator for this thing?

·
22,324 Posts
Check ALL electrical connections before buying parts. From your description, I'd start with the accessory connection on the ignition switch and go through the lighting circuit with a fine tooth comb. It wouldn't hurt to fully test the ignition switch first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check ALL electrical connections before buying parts. From your description, I'd start with the accessory connection on the ignition switch and go through the lighting circuit with a fine tooth comb. It wouldn't hurt to fully test the ignition switch first.

I was thinking the same thing. Looking in there it does resemble a small bowl of spaghetti. Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! I didn't even get a chance to contact a moderator and it was moved. Things move fast around here :congrats:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts