My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search in the thread and couldn't find anything related to my issue, and I was wondering if you guys might be able to help me out.

I have a MDT tractor Model 13AM675G062, when I turn the key all I get is a buzzing noise coming from the solenoid. I've check out the wiring diagrams, and traced down all the wires. I thought that I figured out about a week ago that the safety switches for the desk and brake were the cause. But when I tried to start it just recently I was getting nothing at all. So I bypassed the switches and now all I get is a buzzing from the solenoid. I've check the voltage and at the solenoid when turning the ignition I only draw about 1-5 volts on the cold side.... I'm truly stumped on this one and I'm really hoping you can help me out!!

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Did you try to jump the solenoid?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1. Reconnect your safety switches.
2. Have your battery charged and load tested.
3. Check and clean your electrical connections - all of them, especially grounds.
4. Check the solenoid ground if it has one (if two spade terminals one is ground)
5. Check the mounting of the solenoid if it is self grounding.
6. Disconnect the pick lead form the solenoid, and measure voltage with the key in the start position.
- if voltage is 12 volts, then the solenoid may be bad.
- if voltage is low, you may have a bad ignition switch.
7. Apply 12 volts directly from the battery to the solenoid's pick lead. If it still buzzes, the solenoid is likely bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I had bought a band new battery, I have three different solenoids, (Which two are new and one is the OEM). I've tried all three solenoids and get the same resoluts, so I don't think it's the solenoids. I've also replaced the ignitions switch, so that's new as well. I'll try some of the things you guys suggested and see what happens,... I know for a fact the hot side of the solenoid has the same voltage as the battery. When I turn the key to on the other side gets .01 volts and when I try to start it, it only gets like 1-8 volts. And it take a good half minute to work up to 8 volts.

I have to replace the water pump in my XJ before I can work on the mower to much more. (Need it to get to work in the rain,..) So hopefully I'll be able to get some more work done on the mower today, I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Bad ground cable from your battery perhaps? The connection from the ground cable to the frame does tend to corrode. Check for resistance between the negative terminal and the chassis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I was finally able to tinker a little tonight. I found that my new and old solenoids look slightly different (see picture). I also disconnected both cables from the solenoid and used my multimeter to touch them together. I saw the a tiny spark and the voltage went down. Could one or both of the positive cables be bad??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK cool so replace the ground cable from the battery, right? can you tell me a little more about my solenoids? The little pin that comes down is on opposite sides,... should I switch my positive cables around or does it matter?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
On the style of solenoid you have depicted, it matters not which round lug gets the battery cable and which gets the starter cable. Also with only one spade terminal, well, you can only hook it up one way.

In addition to checking the battery ground cable to the chassis, you need to verify the solenoid ground, as the body is the ground and if you have a poor connection, the solenoid will not operate. You may have a 16 or so guage wire with a round terminal on it which may attach to the solenoid mount bolts, and the chassis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my ground for the battery was attached to the solenoid where it bolts to the chassis. but no other ground that I could find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts