My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Joe
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. In the event I ever do find an electric lift for my Sears and get it all nice and mounted and start plowing (garden plowing) How is it gonna work? With the manual lift the plow will just ride over a solid object. The hitch allows this to happen and the lift handle just rides along with everything else. Now....I'm going to have this rigid mounted shaft that it seems to me at least, will not be forgiving at all and the very first solid, unmovable object I hit is going to trash either the lift shaft or bend the heck out of something. Is this the case or is there some motion in these setups?
Joe

· Banned
294 Posts
I would imagine the fluid in the cylinder would provide a bit of cushion, but you'll have to go easy.

· Jack of All Trades
1,333 Posts
Typically there isnt any fluid in an electric lift. It is a gear driven jack-screw. re you looking to use a sleeve or a 3 point hitch. I have an electric 3 point but havent put it to use yet. The manual lift on my ss16, I know what ya mean about the plow riding up. Part of it is how you have the pitch of the plow set up. You want it pointed down just enough to dig in slightly, but not bury itself. Too little pitch and it will just ride up out of the ground. I doubt you will have much issue breaking things on a 3 point if you are set up right, everything nice and tight, using the correct grade and diameter pins. Unless you try to plow boulders out of the ground in high gear. Just take it slow and easy and I think you will break traction before you break anything else. Dont have any advice on a sleeve hitch, never used one and dont care too.

· Jack of All Trades
1,333 Posts
Damned old technology!
Yeah, I would prefer something hydraulic to give that little cushion. Somewhere around here I have a set of plans from where a guy took a hydraulic convertible top system out of a junk yard car and made it into a hydraulic front blade lift. Seemed pretty simple....I will have to try and find them....

· Banned
294 Posts
There's a guy on Youtube that made a double lift for his Sears 3 point and that might have been electric over hydraulic. Do a search for it too.

· Registered
319 Posts
Ok. In the event I ever do find an electric lift for my Sears and get it all nice and mounted and start plowing (garden plowing) How is it gonna work? With the manual lift the plow will just ride over a solid object. The hitch allows this to happen and the lift handle just rides along with everything else. Now....I'm going to have this rigid mounted shaft that it seems to me at least, will not be forgiving at all and the very first solid, unmovable object I hit is going to trash either the lift shaft or bend the heck out of something. Is this the case or is there some motion in these setups?
Joe
I have the electric lift and they are solid with no give or ability for attachments to "follow the ground".

You need to add a piece of chain or add a slot type pin arrangement so the attachment can ride up if it has to. I know it's one of those things why didn't someone think of it. Seems to me if manufacturers provided both a slot and a hole the operator could pin the electric actuator either to act as a solid unforgiving link or allow the attachment to ride up following the ground. The solid arrangement leaves something to be desired.

When the ground rises the attachment digs in, the tractor bogs down and you have to raise the attachment while applying more Hydro until it gets moving again then lower the attachment again then....yes, current arrangement is frustrating :banghead3

Attachments

· Registered
319 Posts

Attachments

· Joe
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I WAS thinking about using one of these electric lifts on a Sears 3 pt category 0 hitch till it crossed my mind that there will be no place for it to "give" if I happen across a big rock or something else that might cause the plow to want to/need to ride up and over.
Any of you use this setup and is this gonna be a problem or do I have to go back to searching for another type tractor that has a hydraulic hitch? I am too dang old and lazy to run out an buy a bunch of parts and cob something together. I just want a dang tractor with a dirt plow and discs that I don't have to manually lift. I'm partial to the 3 pt cat 0 setup.
Joe

· Banned
294 Posts
Honestly, unless you're going really, really fast with the plow, cultivator, etc, I can't see it being that much of an issue. Perhpas with the motorized tiller it would be a bit more of an issue.

The fact that there are still quite a few of these old factory lifts still in existance tells me either no one used them, or they're fairly tough.

· Tractor hoarder/collector
2,456 Posts
Are you using the factory Suburban electric lift? If so they give going up, but not down...Or mine do...I have no down pressure on the plow, and I plow my garden in 3rd high with my SS18!!! NEVER have hurt it!!! we even had it on my GT19.9(BIG BLOCK ONAN!!!!) and never hurt it!!! i did brake off the shoe on my cultivator already with it catching a tree root and having to much weight on tractor snapped it off!!! I use my electric hitches for things they were NEVER inteded for!!! Ill try and get some shots of it hooked to my car trailer!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.