My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ITs been a hot summer so far with temps in the high 90s consistently. My 646 puts off quite a bit of heat. I have a small electric fan with a thermostat that im thinking about adding to the oil cooler. Is it worth it or should i just leave it alone?

·
10,839 Posts
Have you noticed a decrease in performance as it heats up? If so, its something to consider. If not, why mess with it?

·
Registered
690 Posts
mine has a fan on the clutch constantly pulling air through the cooler. I figure its on all the tractors.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Looking at your tractor, I would guess it's like mine and 30 something years old. I would have to guess it has been worked hard on more than one hot day. I work mine hard on hot days as well as cold and the engineers that designed these engines seem to have done their research. It certainly can't hurt, but then you will be putting even more load on the charging circuit and in the end the engine too. You will be essentially just be cooling off the extra heat you make by taxing the engine more due to the added load on the electrical. If your cooling fins are clear and there is nothing built up in the tins, you should be good.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
hammer.
as stated by terry in messg # 4 a CLEAN engine is very important.
as a rule i remove all the tin on my engines every 3/5 years, and press. wash with HOT water.
thank you boomer

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Make sure and check the fins on the oil cooler. It could be plugged up and not even letting air through.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
A small fan with a thermostat is certainly not going to hurt. Check the hydraulic oil temp. at the cooler when hot. If it is under 175 F. +/- , you won't need the fan ....

:trink39:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts