My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, I have a LX 172 and after running for about 20 minutes the blades will cut off. When the blades cut off you can cut them off at the switch and back on and they work for another 3 to 5 minutes. I replaced the electric clutch and postive battery cable. The same thing is still happening. Any sugggestions? Could it be the Switch or the Seat Sensor? How is a easy way to test?

·
Super Moderator
32,697 Posts
Have your battery tested, a low battery will affect the PTO in this manner. I suggest taking it to and auto store for testing!

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,099 Posts
"Could it be the Switch or the Seat Sensor? How is a easy way to test? "

No, not likely from your description of symptoms. Can't tell you to unplug seat switch to check as that is forbidden on this list.

Walt Conner

·
Super Moderator
32,697 Posts
Actually for testing purposes you can tell someone to bypass the seat safety switch, otherwise you have no ability to "eliminate" that as a variable in the troubleshooting process. But do not recommend that they bypass it permanently....a huge violation of rule # 5.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you for the info. Now that I think about it the battery is probably 3 plus years old. It cranks fine, but I will take it to Auto Zone and have them test it. I probably will just replaced since it is that old. I will let ya'll know the results. Thank you,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before you yank the battery, check to ensure its charging. Curb voltage (not running) should be right around 12...running, around 13.8.

-Chris

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,099 Posts
"Actually for testing purposes you can tell someone to bypass the seat safety switch, otherwise you have no ability to "eliminate" that "

Perhaps, but I have seen some very heated discussions between moderators and peons on this list on this very subject, AND for test purposes. A couple of these mods were on my case virtually from my first post, not for that. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing posts from them for some time now.

As for testing seat switch, engine off, switch disconnected, use VOM .

Walt Conner

·
Registered
40 Posts
With the engine off, take a VOM (Volt Ohm Meter), set it to DC (direct current). Place the black lead on the negative side of the battery, and the red to the positive.

Observe the voltage...it should be no lower than 11.5 volts.

Repeat with the engine running...voltage should be at least 12.8. If it is not, or it doesnt change, you are not charging.

And Im not sure where your alternator/generator is located on that model. sorry.

-Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Guys

Thank you for the advice. I replaced the battery and it cured the problem. Only wish I had asked ya"ll prior to replacing the electric clutch. I also replaced the seat sensor just to be safe.

Everything is working well

Thank you,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts