My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
145 Posts
That's a pretty good looking kit, has everything you would need and it is all weather proof. I have seen a lot of people use them, I would have brought one before I did my mod if I knew about them, takes a lot of hard ache out scrounging up all the parts individually and it looks like a good quality 4'' actuator, they can go for up to 80 bucks and higher plus it supplies a multi bit NICE!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I used that kit last year on my 47" quick hitch snowblower. Good instructions, easy install, works well. I'd use the same kit again in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I also ordered and installed that kit last year and it worked great. Would recommend even though it is a little steep on price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got this kit installed. Works great!!! The longest part was terminating and routing all the wiring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
I really like the kit too. I have actually broken down all the parts and considered piecing it together. It would save me about $50. Might not be worth the hassle and I would not even consider it if.... This came with a nice Carling switch. I have not been able to find the exact matching switch that fits into my x7 dash. dc power and light switches have two blanks above. I used one for a battery charger port and would like the other for this function.

Now that the season is upon us it is not on my radar again. If anyone knows the proper Carling switch that matches the dash on x7 part number that would be awesome. I'd probably just get this kit and use the proper switch. Just an aesthetic thing...

This one looks right but im not sure. It is for a cargo dump so it has wrong images and costs triple.
https://www.amazon.com/John-Deere-Original-Equipment-AM116712/dp/B00DZQRNZQ
 

·
JD X585 owner
Joined
·
531 Posts
I just placed my order for the one that says fits X series. The site said it was the last one. Sure hope it is in stock and works!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
I used a rear vent window motor off a mini van:




Chute turn is an power window motor.

Got about 30-40 bucks in the whole system.

"Roll your own" isn't for everyone though......;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
964 Posts
This is mine, had another MTF member ask to see my actuator setup. Sadly I may be using it sooner than I want. We've got a few inches of snow that is sticking to the grass so I haven't had a chance to finish picking up leaves that are seen around in the video.

 

·
Shacker
Joined
·
766 Posts
He always has his ebay ads listed as the last 1. Let us know how the install goes please.
Yeh, LOL! Just checked, and he's got 2 more. I better snap one up before he's only got one left. No snow here yet, all south of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I just put one on mine. I just bought one of those liner induction motors for $80 off eBay. Then just drilled one hole in the top part of the chute . I used the other one already in the chute. Of course you have to buy a double pole double throw momentary switch. I also found one at princess Auto. I live in London Ontario Canada.
It works fine.
Hope that helps.
Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
I just put one on mine. I just bought one of those liner induction motors for $80 off eBay. Then just drilled one hole in the top part of the chute . I used the other one already in the chute. Of course you have to buy a double pole double throw momentary switch. I also found one at princess Auto. I live in London Ontario Canada.
It works fine.
Hope that helps.
Paul
Same deal here.
I ordered one of these (see below), and it fit so perfectly on the side, that I didnt even have to drill any holes in the blower, or use any brackets. Just used the original holes on the base of the chute and on the top articulated section. The actuator comes with stainless brackets and pins, but I didnt use them. Just put a stainless 1/4" bolt through the chute hole, nut on the other side (as a spacer), then feed through actuator hole, using a thin-wall bushing, and another nut on the other side. Had to drill out the actuator holes slightly larger to take the bushing. Original holes were just under 1/4", and I had to drill out to 5/16". The actuator rod and base are aluminum so drilling took 30 seconds. The 4" stroke is perfect. It's like the thing was designed for it. Full extension to zero extension, is exactly alighed with the motion-limiting-slits in the chute head.

I also added some lights, just in case any UFO's will be flying by, they will see this place is already taken (ie there is already another UFO down on the ground)...
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B076BBL2LQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Wally
Looks just like mine easier than a kit I think except you have to source the switch. For turning the chute I used a power aerial motor I think it was. On my old one I used a power seat motor but it turned it a little too quick.
Yours looks great . I only have one light I need to add more like you have.
Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Wally,

Aren't you worried about those lights getting damaged when using the drift cutters in deep snow?
 

·
Shacker
Joined
·
766 Posts
Thanks Wally for the link to the actuator. Just ordered one and a switch for myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,151 Posts
Wally,

Aren't you worried about those lights getting damaged when using the drift cutters in deep snow?
If the snow is that deep by the time I get out there (ie lights are almost 3ft off the ground) I have other things to worry about to be honest!...

Naah the lights are cast aluminum housings and stainless mounts. They may bend out of the way (they are adjsutable up/down, left/right), but they will not break.
Interestingly, I had the thing outside yesterday clearing snow - one of the lights just cut out. Either my wire splice went bad (0.1% chance of that happening), or the low-budget LED lamp died (99.9% chance). Good thing they came in a pkg of 4 for $30CAD (which is like what?... maybe $1.50 USD?) LOL!!

I will add one more thing... this actuator is not the fastest... probably 6-7 seconds for full extension?.... but has a lot of force for the size, meaning I don't care if it ices up... still goes....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
If the snow is that deep by the time I get out there (ie lights are almost 3ft off the ground) I have other things to worry about to be honest!...

Naah the lights are cast aluminum housings and stainless mounts. They may bend out of the way (they are adjsutable up/down, left/right), but they will not break.
Interestingly, I had the thing outside yesterday clearing snow - one of the lights just cut out. Either my wire splice went bad (0.1% chance of that happening), or the low-budget LED lamp died (99.9% chance). Good thing they came in a pkg of 4 for $30CAD (which is like what?... maybe $1.50 USD?) LOL!!

I will add one more thing... this actuator is not the fastest... probably 6-7 seconds for full extension?.... but has a lot of force for the size, meaning I don't care if it ices up... still goes....
I bought an actuator from Amazon. What size fuse holder should I use. Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top