My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have any experience with one of these welders?
I'd like to hear how well they weld being a DC device.

Anyone got an extra one? I don't want to 'collect' it, I want to USE it.

Thanks
John

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yup! got one.... :D

Works great for average jobs on steel up to about 3/8 inch.

I've also used it on thinner stock, but it's really tricky trying to control the heat.

The really nice part is the portability. You can use it anyplace you can get your tractor close to.

I would try the elec-trak owners club website, they do show up there once in a while.

Good luck !

Steve D.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd like to try one, but no one I know has one. It seems to be just 3 strip resistors for Low,Med,High....so I can see where control of heat would be limited. On thick stuff, you could go faster or tighten-up the arc.

I think a 200a gas drive Miller with infinite control would be more to my liking?

Thanks

·
Banned
297 Posts
Everybodys spoiled now adays with all them knobs and gages on the new fangled stuff,,just turn it up and use a bigger rod!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I took care of that problem. No more need for the Elec-Trac museum accessory.

Bought a Miller Legend circa ~1992 gas drive ...225a/AC 200a/DC with infinite amperage control within several rough ranges....plus it's a 42a/21a 120/240vac generator with 9a 120vac while welding.

I always think of Miller as being the cadillac of machines anyway.
I love my 250 Dial-Arc HF Tig/Stick with foot pedal, and my Orange Airco (Miller) Dipstick 160 Mig/Tig/Stick with spot-stitch control.

·
Banned
297 Posts
Them lincoln gen welders are the norm for pipeline work,,,working in a fab shop,,you might not realize this,,,nothing wrong with miller welders,I have one,,but,,you want a big generator welder,,crank up to 200 amps or so,,,all day long,,maybe....:thThumbsU

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
Them lincoln gen welders are the norm for pipeline work,,,working in a fab shop,,you might not realize this,,,nothing wrong with miller welders,I have one,,but,,you want a big generator welder,,crank up to 200 amps or so,,,all day long,,maybe....:thThumbsU
I'm not sheltered in the shop rrg, we do field work also. me and one other guy do field service work when needed. welders running for 6-7 hours at a time. Alot of locals including myself use the Miller bobcat 250's and trailblazers 300's some use the Lincoln Pipeliner with a $14,000.00 price tag. Depends on where your from!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts