My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my first Cub Cadet a couple of weeks ago....2130....and I thought it might be simple to figure out why the pto didn't engage.....well :fing20: So...the main question/guidance for a tinkerer should be what???

Engine starts/runs OK
I pulled "all" connections off the switches (relay, ignition, pto) and the sucker keeps running?
Brake switch works...on/off...OK.
I pulled all the elec tape off harness and looked for broken wires....none.

If I keep all connectors in place, and turn ignition switch to the "lights" position...and turn on pto....engine shuts off?

I can turn ignition switch to off, and it keeps running?

Does any of this make sence? Lawn-boys are sure alot easier to work on than the Cub....:fing20:
Thanks.....Mike

·
Registered
286 Posts
Wrong ignition switch??? If in the off postion,w/eng.still running does PTO work ???? Could be a bad relay.....Jim

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thanku: Actual PTO unit won't work with ignition switch in any position....only thing pto switch will do is shut engine off when ign switch is turned to "lights" position.

I've been thinking ingition switch and relay are bad?? But that's the only way a tinkerer can get to the "correct" answer....

·
Premium Member
7,991 Posts
I don't know the specifics of that model, but is the wire harness that plugs into the back of the keyswitch a round connector? If so, is it possible that it is plugged in incorrectly, I mean rotated to a position that still allows it to plug in but not be making the correct connections?

As for the pto, there are a couple of possibilities.

First, a lot of them have an adjustable air gap, and if it is out of adjustment, the friction plates never come together tight enough to make the pto spin.

A second possibility is one of the safety interlock switches. There's usually a safety switch for the seat that won't allow the pto to turn on (or shuts the engine off when you turn on the pto) if it doesn't sense the weight of somebody sitting in the seat. There might also be a safety switch that won't allow the pto to turn on (or shuts the engine off when you turn on the pto) if it senses that the transmission is in reverse. Either of these safety switches might be stuck, bad, disconnected, or missing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts