My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I LOVE Garden Tractors!!!
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post a few pics of the awesome stereo I pieced together for my shop. Between CL and a local yard sale I have 70 bucks invested plus some gas money. First I found some speakers for $40. A young kid made them in a vo-tech class and had no room for them. They are big....

Then on I am driving to my local farmer's market for some fresh local produce and I spot a stack of stereo stuff. I stop and look. Old Technics stuff, made in Japan. American tractors are the best but since the 60-70's electronics have been top notch from Japan. So I ask how much for all of it? CD changer, tape deck, EQ, amplifier and tuner? Uhhh, how about $30? I can't pull out the money fast enough. I run home and hook it all up. It works great and sounds even better. So here are the components.

Zac Brown sounded great coming out of those speakers. The CD player was top of the line in it's heyday and a real nice one and the amp is real well built too. Plus it has the SUPER BASS button !!! :thThumbsU I got a really good deal. Just thought I would share. Now I can rock out as I work on the GTs and drink my beer and bourbon/tequila. :trink40:

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,213 Posts
You scored..............big time!

·
10,839 Posts
In order to protect the speakers, I suggest hanging them in a corner. Suspended by lite duty chains works good. Can't hit them and ruin them, can't spill on them, and the sound is good. Also doesn't take up valuable floor space.

Like this only with eyebolts and heavier chain instead of wire.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Gonna lose some of that big thumpin' bass taking 'em off the floor, but I'd like either speaker setup like that for my "Saturday Morning War of Music". The Coldstream Guards would honk the neighbor right off his deck and back inside.:D:D:D

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All you need now is an 8 track player ..and some Michael Jackson Tapes and your good to go :fing32::fing32:
He actually had a turntable for sale but I am a little young for a vinyl collection. I already collect old GTs, I can't start getting into old records too, althought they say they sound way better that CDs on a good turntable.

My college roomate actually had an 8 track player and we played it once or twice as a spoof. That is the first time I ever hear led Zeppelin, was on 8 track in about 1985 when I was 11 years old in my basement. One of my earliest musical memories.

As far as Michael Jackson, I dig his early stuff, but then I will be jamming some rock, jazz, blues and am starting to get into blue grass both old and some modern stuff. I like most music except gangster rap. I love 50's/60's doo-*** and R & B. You should see the looks I get when I have Jackie Wilson blaring in the minivan and I am only 36. :thThumbsU

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,595 Posts
Nice going Mike! Now you'll want to spend more time in the garage doing projects while listening to those tunes. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
756 Posts
Looks like you hit a jackpot; that is a serious score. What are those speakers, 12" three way with tuned bass port?

I agree with cat385, mount them from the ceiling in a corner. Hint, mount them diagonal across the corner so the back of speaker makes a isosceles triangle with the room corner; the wall will act as extension of speaker and you wont drop a bit of the sound ( ever heard of a Klipsch horn speaker?)

Great deal.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,975 Posts
Bonus, Mr. C! I have the exact tape deck and CD player, and a couple models up of amp (integrated receiver, video in and out, Dolby surround), bought new (well, the receiver WAS a year old, a friend of mine bought it new just before digital dolby was released, sold it to me for half price)... The deck and the CD player were worth $300 and $400 CDN new... Still use the tapedeck for running my cassettes onto my iPod... Amp runs my home entertainment system downstairs (computer, projector, analog TIVo aka VCR for you younger folks). CD player, unfortunately, is gathering dust in my storage room, since all my music now lives on a couplea big hard drives... So, if you ever need parts for that puppy, you know where to come to!

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
heres my room stereo everythig was free other than the subs and 5 disc changer

Attachments

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like you hit a jackpot; that is a serious score. What are those speakers, 12" three way with tuned bass port?

I agree with cat385, mount them from the ceiling in a corner. Hint, mount them diagonal across the corner so the back of speaker makes a isosceles triangle with the room corner; the wall will act as extension of speaker and you wont drop a bit of the sound ( ever heard of a Klipsch horn speaker?)

Great deal.
Those are 15 inch woof woofs! Big dogs. :dogrun::fing32: I actually already changed the system around. I went back and bought a second CD player from the guy for $10 and and got David Bowie's Greatest Hits so it was free I guess. :thThumbsU Then my wife got me my five year anniversary present. I picked up a big Pioneer A-80 integrated amplifier. 150 WATTS PER CHANNEL!!! That baby sings and will scream if needed too. It really drives those big 15 inch woofers. I picked up some little Boston Acoustics HD5 bookshelf speakers and a small Yamaha sub for my living room system to go with the Technics amp. I like true two channel stereo for music, no AV receivers for my music. So I have two really nice sounding systems in and out of the house. I have an MP3 player but the sound quality of those files is low compared to a CD. I have always been interested in sound quality over pure loudness. Money is tight but the used market was my friend in this case. I had L.A. Woman by the Doors rockin and it sounded great. :lalala: What neighbors?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Great deals on everything... I'd just be careful with those subs so close to a TV... There are some big magnets in those Subs that can play havoc on your TV screen.. That being said, been some time since I used to have a monster stereo in my old Firebird... But never ran dual 15s, a single 15 and then dual 12s. Probably why I am starting to go deaf....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts