My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Both driveway and walkway were sealed Saturday morning. Walkway has a different sealer that makes it shine. Will work on the landscaping this weekend. Will think out some hostas and integrate purple Rozanne geraniums. Can see below in the back our current hostas. Will continue to follow to outside of the walkway with boasts and geraniums. Dug up a bunch of hostas last fall in preparation of this so they are will established.
Plant Road surface Asphalt Grass Urban design

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
I may have misunderstood. This morning (5:30) my dog started barking. Couple guys already working removing remaining oarder supports and cleaning up. Cut diamond pattern and hosed off. I believe driveway had to be dry for sealer.

View attachment 2556153

Didn't take a picture of the relief cuts in the sidewalk. Can barely tell they're there. Had to get up close to see. Think the concrete stain color and stone really mask it well.
Just set enough to walk on. Same with saw cuts. So everything could have been done as soon as being on the surface didn't scuff it.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
This week my wife and I were off of work. Some work done up front.
Restained the front porch ceiling. Before/after:
Brown Wood Rectangle Natural material Grey

Wood Grey Tints and shades Pattern Freezing

Staining took 4 days. Day 3 ended with about 15% left and we ran out of stain. HD was out, but was restocked this morning so we finished in about 30 minutes. Goes quicker with the 2 of us.

Started some landscaping + prep.
Before:
Plant Road surface Asphalt Shade Tree

After:

Plant Plant community Vertebrate Natural landscape Grass

Plant Leaf Tree Land lot Road surface

Thinned out the hostas and added rozanne geraniums. 2 hosats, 1 geranium, etc.

Plant Road surface Asphalt Tree Grass

Will half or quarter our iris to plant here along with Jacobs ladder. We'll play by ear what else goes here. Still have to move a little dirt out of this area.

·
Registered
I have had many different tractors, at present I have a early 40s Gibson tractor & a early 70s Sears
418 Posts
The biggest problems with settling is from not having good compaction. Just make sure they compact everything before they pour. As for the guy with the problem of settling in front of his garage. You need to cut out the area and remove the big rock then fill and compact in 1 foot lifts. Then use water to finish off the settling. It shouldn't be attached to the floor at all. Expansion joint are a big plus too

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Exhausted. All work so far has been completed manually with a wheelbarrow, shovels, and a landscape rake.

Wife started to and filled in dirt along side one side of the driveway. Will have to fix the yard a little to allow more room for water run off. Other side of driveway have mature evergreen shrubs, so will have to come up with some type of retaining wall for dirt/mulch as shrubs sit up much higher than the driveway.

Plant Tree Road surface Leaf Asphalt

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Landscaped again.
All landscape was from what we had dug up prior to the new install. Unfortunately, not much left for any color this time of the year. Will mulch once I can drive the truck on the driveway.

Plant Property Building Tree Road surface

Next project is to buy and install landscaping timber as a retaining wall for our bushes along the side of the house. The ground there sits up much higher now than the previous driveway.

Plant Plant community Road surface Shade Asphalt

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Super Moderator
15,207 Posts
It came out very nice, Mike...something I have seen done in similar situations is planting ivy or pachysandra on that slope...ivy grows quickly and its roots will hold the soil in place...more of a natural appearance...pachysandra looks really good, but does not grow as quickly as ivy...both stay green all year

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
landscape timbers are a short-term solution here in the wood rot zone.
I'd like your feedback/recommendation.

My only experience with PT landscape timber was growing up. Around 1993-1995 my dad built our front and back decks. My dad used landscape timbers along the house for our landscaping and retaining wall (one side had a bigger slope than the others). My brother bought the house and eventually sold it to move out of state in 2019. The same timbers were installed the whole 25 or so years. They were stained to match the decking.

We previously had railroad ties. The buried ones were in terrible shape. I do have some railroad ties (though not enough to stack 2 high). I don't want to use them here even if I could get more because with a new driveway, I don't think they would fit too well. Guess I'm looking for something that you don't really notice and will also hold up.

I will be getting help from my dad for this (I want to do it right the first time and be done with it). I was thinking only half of the first timber would be buried (the back half while the other half is supported by the driveway) and the build up from there. Obviously, the back half would be in contact with dirt/mulch as well.

Plan was for PT landscape timber. Not sure if I am missing something. Should I have ground contact wood as the base layer before using PT landscape timber? I'm not sure what my dad did for good long term success, but I suspect in 20-25 my wife and I will have downsizd so if I get the same success, it'll outlast my stay here.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
I would use retain wall block as they would also last longer, not look out of place and blend better with the new sidewalk and drive. There are many shapes, sizes and colors to choose from.
I just have not had much luck with landscape timbers. The front face can be kept look nice. But the back sides and bottom faces rot away. Then there are also the pesky bugs they attract.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I would use retain wall block as they would also last longer, not look out of place and blend better with the new sidewalk and drive. There are many shapes, sizes and colors to choose from.
I just have not had much luck with landscape timbers. The front face can be kept look nice. But the back sides and bottom faces rot away. Then there are also the pesky bugs they attract.
Thank you for your thoughts. We did briefly discuss using other materials. We will have about 46' long and about 8" high to cover. We first actually thought of using old brick we still have from the old addition of the house. Thought about adding in concrete bricks as well to give it a unique look (like the brick was meant to be there and the concrete bricks were added to spots where needed due to bricks breaking etc.) I think ultimately we thought any type of brick, stone, paver, retaining wall paver would be too busy whereas the timber would be there, serve a purpose and ultimately not be noticable. We had that thought while re-staining our porch ceiling in June. No one will ever notice the new stain job but us, or if they do, will notice it once for a few seconds and that's that. Not sure the time and money for something other than landscape timber would be worth the effort. It's also a summer of projects, so I might be getting a little burnt out from that, plus, after having thyroid cancer and surgery in the winter, with my med dosage not being where it should be, I'm often tired, so I always question my decisions.

I did find a purple ground cover (in case we don't have enough purple already) to plant underneath the pine shrubs, so that may be come the focal point or at be more noticable. @MARK (LI) we do have ivy underneath our back porch. The deer discovered it 2 winter's ago and now have a new source of food. They also eat out pine shrubs some winter's so they can quickly do some damage.

• Wow

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
The simplest for now maybe the thing to do. It can always be changed. Hope they get your meds figured out. My oldest sister has had thyroid problems for years. She has told me that about the time they find something that works someone changes it. Take care.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks all.
I was pretty tired and run down for awhile, think I might be on the up and up for now anyway.

Picked up my timber and supplies for the retaining wall. Will be 3 timbers high. Will be getting mulch during my lunch break to finish off the front.

I think I might go the sod route to finish off the other side of the driveway. Will have to do a little grading in some spots. Some estimates at a local sod supplier has the cost slightly higher than what seed would be (I think I always end of going overboard and spending more than I want on seed). Plus time involved with watering, I'll take a break on this one. I'll have other areas to worry about for overseeing come fall.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Picked up a yard of black mulch. Got some down during my extended lunch break. My Wife will try to finish when she gets home and before supposed rain comes in. Also picked up some mulch dye a few months back. Will use that soon to minimize the 2 month color difference between black mulches.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts