My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,322 Posts
It looks like they did get a lot accomplished (y) ...one thing that drives me crazy is the concrete guys never finish the area between the existing lawn and the board that they use for a form, and home owners never realized they would have to take care of it, so there is a big gap for a long time before it gets taken care of

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Our contract says they won't do any landscaping after. I'm considering getting sod for the one side of the driveway. I asked them to save good dirt, which is mostly what was used for the landscaping, so I'll probably have to buy some as well.

The biggest concern is there will be a few inch difference in hight between the concrete and remaining blacktop by the road. The remaining blacktop will be replaced, so might have to figure out how to ease the transition for a bit. Won't be an issue for my truck, but wouldn't want me wife to damage her Malibu

Reactions: Ariens93GT20

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
It looks like they did get a lot accomplished (y) ...one thing that drives me crazy is the concrete guys never finish the area between the existing lawn and the board that they use for a form, and home owners never realized they would have to take care of it, so there is a big gap for a long time before it gets taken care of
If not in the contract assuming anything is crazy. But working with a contractor the first time without one is crazier yet.
If I had bid this the customer would have known everything. Type of materials used, to the amounts being purchased.
Yes sometimes there were over runs. Being the contractor, suck it up wasn't their mistake. If there was something not disclosed or hidden that was different.
But to put it simple if there is no line item for landscaping don't expect it.

·
Super Moderator
15,322 Posts
Not assuming anything...But concrete guys know about this and it always looks like they either did a crummy job, or they didn't finish it.....the guys that do that finish work have a completed project that looks like it was done by professionals .....the whole idea of being a contractor is to get work...so charge more and get that work. I am a contractor, myself....and sometimes I have to do a little extra to make the job something I would be satisfied with....if it is something that I anticipate, I include it in the proposal price....if I come across something that I can do to make the job look better, that I had not foreseen....I eat it...it has to look professionally done.....in this case , the concrete guys can do a great job, but the unfinished part is distracting....just include it in the price and do it

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts
Not assuming anything...But concrete guys know about this and it always looks like they either did a crummy job, or they didn't finish it.....the guys that do that finish work have a completed project that looks like it was done by professionals .....the whole idea of being a contractor is to get work...so charge more and get that work. I am a contractor, myself....and sometimes I have to do a little extra to make the job something I would be satisfied with....if it is something that I anticipate, I include it in the proposal price....if I come across something that I can do to make the job look better, that I had not foreseen....I eat it...it has to look professionally done.....in this case , the concrete guys can do a great job, but the unfinished part is distracting....just include it in the price and do it
It would be nice to give the homeowner the option with it broken down on the quote and then pointed out by the contractor. Price of finishing the lawn edge vs without. let the customer decide.

Reactions: Ariens93GT20

·
Super Moderator
44,036 Posts
To me it comes down to the dollars, if I can save a bit by not having it done and doing it myself after they've done the concrete work I prefer to finish it so it is done to my satisfaction. But if they are going to keep the same price I will let them finish it, if I don't like it afterwards I'll re-finish it to my satisfaction.

·
Super Moderator
12,672 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Brown Rectangle Wood Font Symmetry

We picked summer biege. They add the color to the concrete. I was worried it would look more like a dye, but real happy with this. Looks more like a dirt path with stones embedded, which since we have such and older home, takes a modern approach on that. Time will tell the final color. Also will have sealed, so I think that will impact color as well. Makes me question if the driveway should be any color but white concrete, but oh well, think it'll look great regardless.

Originally wanted exposed aggregate for the driveway too, but not at that price tag. We don't have nor want children, so we perhaps could have swung it with a home improvement loan. Also, not sure how long it would've held up overtime in Buffalo winter's and with my operation of a snow blade.

Will also have to add a new coat of paint to the front stairs. The rest of the trim in the front was repainted in 2020. Steps were repainted in 2018 so gotta spruce that up... in about 3 weeks...

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Mike514,

Sidewalk looks really good, I'd say you picked a good contractor.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
9,613 Posts
no covering it and keeping it wet for awhile? It's my understanding that doing those things helps maximize the strength of the concrete (which I would want for the driveway).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I may have misunderstood. This morning (5:30) my dog started barking. Couple guys already working removing remaining oarder supports and cleaning up. Cut diamond pattern and hosed off. I believe driveway had to be dry for sealer.

Plant Road surface Shade House Asphalt

Didn't take a picture of the relief cuts in the sidewalk. Can barely tell they're there. Had to get up close to see. Think the concrete stain color and stone really mask it well.

·
Super Moderator
15,322 Posts
Looks like they did do nice cement work....but I notice your house more than the new concrete...that is really beautiful...are you in New England?...I think brick houses are just magnificent (y)...the porch with its columns and those windows on the house certainly add to it also ....you must be very proud of that house
Gesture Font Rectangle Circle Paper product

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looks like they did do nice cement work....but I notice your house more than the new concrete...that is really beautiful...are you in New England?...I think brick houses are just magnificent (y)...the porch with its columns and those windows on the house certainly add to it also ....you must be very proud of that house
View attachment 2556161
Thanks, we love the house and it was only the 2nd house we viewed (first house with our realtor). We live in Western New York, about 45 minutes north of Buffalo, 30 minutes of Niagara Falls. We went with the exposed aggregate sidewalk as it is a more modern version of a stone path that fits the house well. Would have liked that for the driveway, but not at the price tag. Think the white concrete looks better than blacktop.

We had got some info from the PO and our town historian. Land was purchased in 1825, house believed to be built in 1835. Maybe a few years older since we do not have lintels atop the windows and rather have a brick arch. That, or the original owner/farmer was very wealthy. The PO had walked here from Maine to purchase this property. The porch posts are not original and are fiberass, but I have what I believe may have been an original or two, along with 3 or 4 porch posts that were used in the back porch prior to the barn addition. Cannot tell what they say, but there was an ink stamp with our.towns name on one of the back porch posts (square base).

Two weeks ago we had an elderly couple stop by around 4:30pm. It was the great great great (maybe one more great) grandson of the 2nd owner of the home. Was in with his wife from Michigan seeing family. He had a whole family tree book with him, including and uncirculated picture we have in our living room, which the PO estimated to be from the 1930s, but could be sooner along with pictures of grave stones. I recognized the name from the town historian. That family purchased in 1864 after the first owner passed.

The back of the home had a barn addition at some point (was not original) and then torn down in the late 80s/early 90s. We have a picture from 1984 with the addition.

The interior has been renovated and the oldest thing inside (aside from beams and joists) is some newspaper used as installation in the basement.

Picture from 1984. Found this on Vintage Aerial | historic aerial photography of rural American farms and homesteads I did buy a quality picture of it.
Photograph White Motor vehicle Black Urban design

The attached barn and detached barn are long gone. We have the bell from the cupola in the barn. It was hidden under some ivy underneath the back porch when we moved in. It now sits in our garden out back. Would need some work to hang on a post. The property was originally 120 acres. The PO's father was swindled out of 110 acres back in the mid-2000s for about $50k. The rest was sold off throughout the years for our now neighbors. The property is now mostly wooded though some field plots remain free from trees. Think someone still bailed hay through the mid 2000s sale.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts