My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Several things could be causing the drop in the approach, dirt compaction, improper compaction of any fill, sand, gravel, pea gravel over tile will shift. If there is tile, it could be washing away any fill over time.

Lot's of variables, hire an established concrete and discuss your issue at length.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Mike514,

Is your garage attached to your house?

If it is, you should have a proper footing under your garage and it should be below the frost line.

If this is the case you will have a poured wall or block wall from the footer up.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Garage is not attached. The garage wad added in 2001 and the concrete floor has had up really well. We park in there during the winter months only.
Is your floor toothed in, perimeter of the slab 18" or so deep compared to 4" slab.

I would pour the approach similar to slab perimiter and pin it, (drill holes for rebar and install rebar to get them tied together), it will keep them on the same plane. I would taper the approach back 3 or 4 foot and score the concrete at that point to control crack, instal rebar through out the pad.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
That is about the last thing I would do. Columns and beam tied to the garage foot would be a yes but to tie the drive to the garage slab never. Expansion and contraction will tear both apart. Sit the drive on the beam with a bond breaker and let it float. Use an expansion joint between the garage slab and drive.
It all depends on how you go about it.

Dig down below frost line and pin it, depends a lot on existing garage pad. Anything can be done, it comes at a price though.

How do you think the entrance at your local Walmart stays intact, they sure don't want a trip zone, they keep that for the parking lot.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Pinned or not pinned, they remain consistaint with with entrance.

Neither of us have the Walmart prints to entrance, so I agree to disagree.

I would guess that it is footed below frost zone, walled and poured.

I've poured my share of concrete and never had a four inch drop in the approach to a garage, I would say it was inferior design and compaction.

CCMoe

Reactions: Oneacer

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Mike514,

Sidewalk looks really good, I'd say you picked a good contractor.

CCMoe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts