My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at an economy tractor. jim dandy to be exact from around 1961. its missing a tranny. i was told it was a 'three speed borg warner T92' tranny. does anyone have one that we could make a deal, or would be willing to throw my way? i really like the look of this tractor, and i dont want to see it sitting around getting no use. hey, if anyone did have one, you'd always get the satisfaction of seeing another old tractor on its feet for another day!:thanku::praying:
mods-i placed this in the backyard roundtable for more exposure!

·
Still plays with tractors
2,302 Posts
There are always transmissions on ebay. I will also PM you a list of parts suppliers that may be able to help you.

·
rust in my veins
233 Posts
hit carlisle and hershey here in the next few months for the big swap meets, these were used in crosley cars. I bought a decent one last year for mine that was only 75.00.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hotrodzz- do you have any clue where the meets that id have the best luck at be, what time they're at? im about 3 and a half hours away so i wouldnt be able to hit more than one unless they were in the same weekend.

ingersoll-do they have rebuild kit& do you know what other tractors they were used in?

jas- great resource!! thanks a bunch

now back to the question answer part. im guessing since it was a car transmission, it works just like a cars with the clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing and all that jazz? and you start out in 1st and go through the gears? im not familiar with these, and people say no questions a stupid question, so i figured id ask..if theres any other information that you guys have about the transmission, or even jim dandys themselves, feel free to chime in.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Ebay has them come up pretty often, but be prepared for a little sticker shock. I got $450 for one in very nice shape a couple of years ago.
I haven't checked lately. Crosley car transmissions use the same gears, but the housing is different.
Took me two junk ones worth of partas to put one together for my dual trans model that came without innards in back one.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.ht...&_nkw=t-92+transmission&LH_Complete=1&guest=1

Looks like they have been selling for $150-$200 ish lately. That's down some. You want the one with the straight shifter. (front on a dual trans model)
The shifter can be swapped or modified though.

You didn't say, but I assume you have the bellhousing, clutch, throwout bearing, driveshaft etc? It all adds up quickly if you don't.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
If you search ebay, don't forget to search economy transmission, and powerking transmission as well.
Beware of the guys selling crosley transmissions as direct bolt ins. They aren't. Input shaft and output shafts can be different lengths, they have a speedometer hole, and I don't think the rear flange is made correctly.
Rather than pull out hair, just buy an economy transmission from a reputable seller and ask questions if something isn't clear.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Try OLYMPIC GEAR PH. 330-425-4112 the way I understand it they have new trans. there still used today. Speedex tractor also used this trans. in ther larger tractor. Let us know how you make out. Dan

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i priced a new trans from power king today and it was $980. too much for my taste. and ive searched everything on ebay i could think of but no luck..:crybaby:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
2,302 Posts
That's Mission Manufacturing. They own the rights to these tractors now. As I told you before, patience is the key here when working with any old tractor. You won't always get the parts you need tomorrow. Sometimes you just have to wait and search unless you want to pay a premium price for it.

·
Super Moderator
32,170 Posts
hotrodzz- do you have any clue where the meets that id have the best luck at be, what time they're at? im about 3 and a half hours away so i wouldnt be able to hit more than one unless they were in the same weekend.

ingersoll-do they have rebuild kit& do you know what other tractors they were used in?

jas- great resource!! thanks a bunch

now back to the question answer part. im guessing since it was a car transmission, it works just like a cars with the clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing and all that jazz? and you start out in 1st and go through the gears? im not familiar with these, and people say no questions a stupid question, so i figured id ask..if theres any other information that you guys have about the transmission, or even jim dandys themselves, feel free to chime in.
I dont know if there are rebuild kits, but parts are out there. the bearings can be sorsed local. Some bearings may need to have mods done to them thoguh. [most main bearings that fit are fully sealed, and need some small holes drilled in the inside sheld to lube them.] Agean.. I found a ton on info searching for [crosley trans parts, or crosley trans rebuilding, etc]

As for what uses them... A LOT!! My Breadys have them, but the input shaft has been mod'ed. [the pilot has been cut off]. Someone posted a pic here of some mini bike that used one, and lots of other things have also. Crosleys, and PK's seem to be the most comon though.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,815 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Question ? What is the ring bolt mounting diameter ? and it also looks like it may bolt up to and old 60's Sagnaw 3 speed transmission , I had one with over drive.

·
2,302 Posts
im guessing since it was a car transmission, it works just like a cars with the clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing and all that jazz? and you start out in 1st and go through the gears?
No, that's about the last thing you are going to do with an Economy. They have been known to grind gears. It's just the way they are. There is a remedy for that but let's find you a transmission first.

·
Super Moderator
32,170 Posts
Correct... no syncros in it. In a car with a foot throttle you can do it, becouse you can match the RPMs, but in a fixed speed powerplant like a tractor has, you need to stop to change gears. Here is a link to some pictures I posted when I started rebuilding the one in one of my Breadys..

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=99830&highlight=bready

That one kinda stalled becouse the countergear was rusted solid, but Im working on three others also.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
To give you an idea on the size of the transmission, one without a shifter will fit in a MEDIUM flat rate priority box and ship anywhere in the USA for what, $13?

It isn't very big, just expensive.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts