My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tractor Aficionado
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my tranny keeps getting stuck in gear and i have to keep pulling the tranny top off and un sticking it here are some pics of the top of the tranny case

BTW its a 1614

·
Registered
57 Posts
same trannies, but dont that look like mud water in there? ever try flushing and changin the gear oil? alot of guys speak highly of the stp, but i have put straight lucus gear oil in mine and it works wonders

·
Tractor Aficionado
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah i havent gotten around to changing that yet and i think that, that is my whole problem what should a fush it witha gas ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
all i did was run regular oil in it, had to change it three times, but it only takes a half a pint i think it is, so if you buy one bottle of gear oil, 80/90 weight, you should be able to change it to fresh oil, run it around a few days, hrs what ever, then change it agian, and do that till it comes out lookin like oil, then i changed it to lucas 80/90 gear oil after that. water gets into those trannys around the shifter handle then does that. thats your cheapest solution first in my book.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i guess you could use gas or an engine sludge remover to flush it out, just pourin it in the top with the lid off, leaving the bottom drain plug out, then go to the oil. i wouldnt drive it like that, without gear oil in it though. mine wasnt that bad. i mean the oil looked like mud water, but it still went into all the gears ok, just grinding would occur. hopefully that solves your problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i have read on here that if it sticks in gear its worn and needs welding to build bottom of shifter up, specs. have been posted before on here.if oil runs out of trans fill hole its over full and will blow seals,pinkie finger bent in fill hole should just touch oil.

·
Tractor Aficionado
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx for all your advice im going to the stor tomaro and can you explain more on what you meen by welding the end of the shifter

·
Registered
20 Posts
You say you have to remove the top and un stick the gear. It could be the shifter but that doesn't explain the stuck gear . Crud on the spines does sound rational. If the tolerance between the gears and the shaft is off then the gear could wobble a small amount and cause it to lock on there. Try moving the gear back and forth while twisting it . Maybe you can feel a warn spot in there . Let's hope its not this senero . That would be a real pain.

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
Change that oil!:fing20:

Looks like 50% water, 50% oil and 50% dirt.

I had some sludgy type stuff in my JD when I got it, wouldnt even drain out of the hole. I took the top off of the trans and put the frame on jack stands. Got as much of the Goo out as I could and filled the trans to near the top with a 70/30 mix of oil and WD-40, this being mostly WD. Fired up the engine and ran it through every gear with the engine idling.

Did this twice and left each gear go for 5min or so. Replaced the lid and filled with 50/50 90wt and STP.

·
Registered
585 Posts
id pour some diesal in there and let ie run around for a lil bit just to knock everything loose and try that

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
If the interlock mechanism in the cover is worn, it may allow one gear to engage before the prior one was disengaged. Once the transmission is in two gears at once, it is stuck. I would look at the cover, and then change the oil as others have suggested.

·
Super Moderator
32,153 Posts
If the interlock mechanism in the cover is worn, it may allow one gear to engage before the prior one was disengaged. Once the transmission is in two gears at once, it is stuck. I would look at the cover, and then change the oil as others have suggested.
defently look at that shift tower. the flat peice on the end on the lever gets worn where they index into the shift fork rods. VERY common on these trannys when use in the cars that they were made for.[crosleys] No so much the tractors [dont get shifted as much] but can still happan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts