My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Echo SRM-410U brushcutter. I can get it to run about half throttle with the air filter off but, as soon as I put it on, dies. Also, when it is running, I can get it to surge to full throttle pressing the primer. The moment I let off the throttle, it'll also die. Any idea what's wrong?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The carburetor needs a thorough cleaning preferably in an ultrasonic cleaner along with new diaphragms and gaskets. Are you using fresh gas or has it been stored in the shed over winter? Take the numbers off the carb and check online, it may be inexpensive to replace.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carburetor needs a thorough cleaning preferably in an ultrasonic cleaner along with new diaphragms and gaskets. Are you using fresh gas or has it been stored in the shed over winter? Take the numbers off the carb and check online, it may be inexpensive to replace.
There was a little in the tank left over. I thought I had drained it. But I run ethanol free with the Red Armoroil that contains stabilizers good for 2 years. I'll try to find a gasket kit.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Justin: May I make a suggestion? Go on ebay and look for a new carb. You can get a new Chinese made carb for $13 or so. I purchased two carbs from "The ROP Shop". They are a vendor on ebay. They have highly quality aftermarket carbs for cheap. Best part - they come with regular screws to adjust the jets, so you don't have to buy any special tools to adjust the carbs. My Echo hedge clipper was doing the same thing. It would start, but no acceleration. $13 bucks later, and a new spark plug, it's running like American Pharoah at the Kentucky Derby. No carb to take apart, no special tools. Just sweetness at high rpm's. Like a brand new tool. Give it a shot and let me know how you make out. A can of fresh premixed 2-cycle fuel is not a bad idea, either. Run the machine with the fresh gas for a few minutes, and it should clean all the crap out of it. I was able to re-use the old gasket that came off the old carb since it had not been cemented in place with Permatex. Time investment? Under one hour, but you'll have a new machine. Hot Ajax.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My local parts and repair shop gave me the same advice right after I bought the parts to rebuild it. It was a little stubborn to run at first. I had fresh 89 ethanol free fuel with the Echo/Shendaiwa Red Armor oil mixed in. I had to replace the spark plug and air filter as the carb decided to overflow with fuel while I waited for the rebuild kit. After if finally decided to run I added a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank for good luck. Ran her hard for a little while with food luck.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My local parts and repair shop gave me the same advice right after I bought the parts to rebuild it. It was a little stubborn to run at first. I had fresh 89 ethanol free fuel with the Echo/Shendaiwa Red Armor oil mixed in. I had to replace the spark plug and air filter as the carb decided to overflow with fuel while I waited for the rebuild kit. After if finally decided to run I added a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank for good luck. Ran her hard for a little while with food luck.
Marvel Mystery oil is good for everything. I put it in my wife's coffee to keep her quiet all day. I sure do love that stuff.:tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Here's another tip: Forget about new air filter. Take the air filter out. Take some carb cleaner, and spray the air filter from the inside out. Let it dry, re-install it, and voila. Perfectly good air filter for close to free.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's another tip: Forget about new air filter. Take the air filter out. Take some carb cleaner, and spray the air filter from the inside out. Let it dry, re-install it, and voila. Perfectly good air filter for close to free.
Don't let your wife find out!

Thanks. They didn't tell me. Then again, that was an excuse to sell me a $17 filter. It's running close to as well as it did brand new. Not bad for something that's about 6 years old.

I'm just glad to have learned a few new things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts