My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an Echo SRM-2301 trimmer. I bought it new about 12-13 years ago and it has been a super trimmer. I guess its starting to show its age now and has a couple of issues that I'm wondering if anybody can shed some light on.

First, it has just a little stall to it when you give it gas. I'm wondering if the carb may be time for a rebuild. Also, is that something easily done by me or should it go to a shop for that?

Second, where the engine meets the shaft, I'm getting a little oil/grease seepage out of the "tab" (for lack of a better word) where I assume the motor mounts onto the shaft. Is there some sort of seal in there that has probably gone bad?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to keep this trimmer or get rid of it. If I decide to get rid of it I'm seriously thinking about going to a Stihl. No particular reason for the switch as I've had excellent service from my Echo, just thought I'd try something different.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I'm not sure if fixing the Echo would be worth the cost on that old of a model, although a new seal and carburetor adjust or rebuild may not be too expensive. Tough call.

I've had a Stihl FS52 curved shafted string trimmer since the early 90's that's been problem free. I also own and Echo ES 2100 blower/vac, and and Echo cs345 chainsaw, both what I would call consumer models. I've been real happy with both of them.

Here's some pics of my RedMax BCZ2400S this thread. that I use out at my other property. I'm real happy and impressed with this string trimmer.

Stihl, RedMax, Shidaiawa, Echo, Husqvarna, you can't go wrong with any of these if you are looking for a new one.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'll have to price out what it will cost to do a carb rebuild before I do anything. I gave a little adjustment to the carb today when I fired it up from winter break and it helped it some. Other than the little stall, it still runs like a top. I'll probably call the guy near me who works on them tomorrow and get him to quote me a price on a rebuild and see what it comes out to.

How are those RedMax trimmers priced if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Their priced kind of high, but they are pretty much commercial grade, I think. I think I paid $269 for mine. I needed something heavy duty for the acreage i purchased, and wanted something that's going to hold up.

·
. . . . . . . . . . . .
1,122 Posts
Tom, find a book, seal and carb kit at a L/G store. I would even ask questions at the store for common problems/issues when rebuilding these bad-boys, and jump in with both feet. If your'e thinking about junkin' it, what could it hurt trying?

When I was a kid learning mechanic work, my father (master mechanic), didn't give much help unless I was really stuck. He would just say "you have to be smarter than that engine, boy." I really hated that at the time, however, I love him for it now.

Just take your time and look at the assembly, take note as to how the part attach and function with one another ( I used to take pictures to aid in reassembly ) and carefully take it apart, watching for placement of internal springs, washers, etc ...

Cleaning everything is a critical part of the job. I cannot stress enough how important this is. If you use a wire wheel to clean mating suraces, be sure and use a small file or piece of sandpaper to remove the polished surface ( this helps gasket adhesion). Also, for gasket sealer, I have found that "Copper Coat spray" works the best for me. It yields a good even coat, nothing squeezes out inside the engine, and your greasy fingers don't touch the silicone.

Good Luck, Bruce

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just talked to my mechanic for small engines, he advises cost to rebuild carb will be about $50-75 depending on how much has to be done to carb.

·
Registered
349 Posts
12 years of service. Not to bad. I got a 14 year old and 9 year old echo PB-400e leafblower. Still run, just not well. But I would just replace the Srm2301 that you got with another new one. Its had its tour of duty.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update

Well, I retired the SRM-2301 the other day. I couldn't financially swing the one I wanted right now (Stihl) due to some other more important things pressing at this time.

I went the cheap route for now and purchased a Ryobi RY30040A (SS30). It has a 30cc (1HP) engine, 18" cutting swath (dual line feed) and it is convertible, meaning that I can attach an edger, blower, pruner and various other attachments.

I'm not hip on Ryobi products, but it seemed to offer me the most bang for the buck with what I had to work with financially right now. I understand that Ryobi also makes Homelite and John Deere trimmers, so I reckon it will get me down the road a couple more years until I can buy the one I really want.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get by... :eck21: :D

Actually, since the 2301 still runs, I'll probably keep it to do junky work like my ditches and use the Ryobi on lighter stuff.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well one of my guys ran over my Srm 2601 today (second time for this machine :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3 ). So If you want. I would be willing to buy it for parts. I need a shaft and tube.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,460 Posts
itsgottobegreen said:
Well one of my guys ran over my Srm 2601 today (second time for this machine :banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3 ).

OK someone ran over it with the truck and trailer or with the mower? Might be time to make them pay for it:00000060:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know if I'll part with it or not right now. Like I said, I may keep it for crap jobs like my ditchlines, don't know yet for sure.

·
Registered
349 Posts
jodyand said:
OK someone ran over it with the truck and trailer or with the mower? Might be time to make them pay for it:00000060:
Its my fault. My new enclosed trailer doesn't have racks yet. So the handheld stuff sits on the floor of the trailer. Well my guy spun around inside the trailer crushing the trimmer between the wall and the mower. I really don't care because its was due for replacement. But I don't have the $$$ to replace it right now.

·
Old Fart
3,225 Posts
911radioman -

Ryobi may not be the best but FYI, Ryobi builds/makes all the Craftsman Line power tools. I've had a couple of Ryobi tools in the past and they have held up rather well. Who knows, that Ryobi ya just bought may last 20 years or more.

ED

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sure hope so, Ed. I realize its still new, but so far I am very impressed with the Ryobi. Easy starting, plenty of power and a wide cutting swath. I am also attracted to the various attachments that are available for it should I decide to go that route.

But if it even gets me 6-8 years down the road, I won't complain too much.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts