My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled my backpack blower out of the shed and it will not start. I am using some fuel that is 2 months old that runs perfectly in my husky edger, 2 husky chain saws and a old toro lawnmower. The primer bulb works fine and when I pull the plug it is wet. It has spark and I went out and bought a new plug today.

I pulled the C1M-K77 zama carb off the engine and took both plates off, everything looks clean. I sprayed a little carb cleaner in there as well.

It is weird, the engine does not catch at all, no sputtering, nothing, just like it did not have spark at all, but the shocks in my arm tell otherwise.

I was going to order a carb rebuild kit, is that my next step?

Chris

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I pulled my backpack blower out of the shed and it will not start. I am using some fuel that is 2 months old that runs perfectly in my husky edger, 2 husky chain saws and a old toro lawnmower. The primer bulb works fine and when I pull the plug it is wet. It has spark and I went out and bought a new plug today.

I pulled the C1M-K77 zama carb off the engine and took both plates off, everything looks clean. I sprayed a little carb cleaner in there as well.

It is weird, the engine does not catch at all, no sputtering, nothing, just like it did not have spark at all, but the shocks in my arm tell otherwise.

I was going to order a carb rebuild kit, is that my next step?

Chris
Check to be sure there isnt a dirt dauber nest in the muffler, or a plugged muffler screen. If it's getting fuel like you say, you can pretty much rule out a seal problem.

How did the metering diaphragm look? Was it soft and pliable, and not stuff?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not look at the muffler at all, I will take a look there tomorrow.

Although it is 3 years old, I doubt it has more than 20 hours on it.

I don't have a lot of carburetor experience, but the diaphragm was soft and pliable. I also did not see any tears. The inside of the carb was shiny silver so I don't think I have a varnish issue.

It is just so strange to me that with spark it doesn't fire at all, maybe it isn't getting enough fuel or the exhaust is plugged as you suggest.

Chris

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the muffler today and blew it out with compressed air, everything seemed fine. I put it back together and it still wouldn't start. I removed the spark plug, poured a little gas mixture in, replaced the spark plug, pulled over slowly to make sure I did not hydro-lock the cylinder, and started it right up!

It ran just fine, idled well and ran at full throttle for 15 minutes or so. I shut it down and had a little trouble starting it. I had to open the throttle all the way and pull twice.

I have not tried a cold start yet, but what could this be an indicator of, bad gas?

Chris

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Make sure you have fresh gas, no water or condensation in the fuel tank. Once you have it running again or at least it starts, put some SeaFoam cleaner in the tank-just a splash.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My Sthil 340 blower had had similar problems when it was brand new, within the first month.

I replaced the plug, checked the carb which was spotless, I was at a total loss. It didn't even occur to me at first to check the exhaust. It turned out to be the screen being plugged up. Once I removed the screen it ran fine.

I tied my problem back to the fact that I sold my boat right when I bought my house and aquired the blower. I was using my leftover 2-Cycle oil from the outboard, which apparently must have been causing it to gum up the screen. Since then I've been buying the Stihl oil and using it in all my equipment. That was three years ago, no issues since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts