My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my FIL has an Echo PB-251 leaf blower that was running fine for about 15-20min, then it was 5-10min now you can start it but as soon as you go off choke it dies. So far I have gone through the carb and verified it was clean, and replaced a broken plastic throttle barrel. After getting it back together last night it start but as soon as you go off choke it would start to rev up and then die like it was losing spark when the cylinder pressure ramped up. I pulled the plug and it was wet with fuel but out of the cylinder spark looked decent. I checked the exhaust port /the muffler screen and both where fine. The spark plug looks good and doesn't appear to be very old. I'm going to get a new spark plug coming but does anyone know if Echo has problems with coils on these? I'm looking at a off brand coil for in the $20s vs $50+ for a Oem coil. I don't want to waste money on this but I'm suspicious that its just a spark plug issue. A seem like a more likely root cause.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not a blower but I had a problem with one of my older echo srm-210 trimmers over the summer. It did the same things you're describing and a new ebay carb solved the issue. The carb may look clean but their could be gummy varnish built up in the little passages you can't see.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with Ben what you are describing sounds like a carb issue. I usually prefer to rebuild the original Zama carbs as opposed to ordering a Chinese replacement, but whatever route you go should be fine. If you do rebuild, make sure you tear it 100% down and use lots of carb cleaner. All it takes is a little bit of dirt or varnish to make one of these little carbs act up.

·
We're all friends here
13,853 Posts
As another possibility; a few years ago, my PB500, which had been running just fine, started doing the same thing. It wouldn't run without the choke. I eventually realized that I had inadvertently and unconsciously filled it with 87 octane gas. It requires at least 89 octane. Once I remembered what I had done I added 91 octane to the tank to bring up the octane, and it took care of the problem. I don't know if that is the issue with your Fil's PB 251 but it might be worth a check.

2,239 Posts
If its less than five years old Echo may replace the coil. They did on mine. They have a 5 year warranty on consumer use if you can prove the date of purchase or you registered it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts