My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After struggling with getting either a new Toro or this Echo,the Echo won. I actually bought the Toro but decided to exchange it for this.I didn't even open the Toro so they just put it right back on the shelf.

OK,first off I was wanting a trimmer that could handle more than one task.The PAS (Pro Attachment Series) 225VP Combo comes with an edger attachment.Even thought I'v never used one I thought it would make the drive look nicer than trimming alone. It can also accept all of echos PAS attachments,though it may be under powered for some of them.

The box it came in was nice and sturdy,packaged well and stapled shut. I carefully took the staples out so I wouldn't tear the box all to up. I took it out piece by piece looking at how nice the aluminum looked all shiny. I laid them out to take some pictures.

The straight shaft trimmer attachment was in a few pieces so some assembly was required.I put the guard on first,which attaches with 3 screws and the star wrench is included, then I put the string head on and tightened it up.
I adjusted the handle as far down on the shaft it would go,but that's the way I wanted it.

After I put it together I took it outside to try it out,but I wanted fresh gas,so I dumped the old gas into another jug and poured the whole bottle of the included Echo 2 cycle oil in the 2 gallon can and then looked at it closely and it did not have any markings on it so I fill it 1/2 way,hopefully that'll be good enough.

After I filled the tank I primed it till gas filled the bulb and then pressed the bulb 4 or 5 more times.I choked it and pulled 4 times and it sputtered so then I 1/2 choked it and pulled a couple more times and it fired right up.I kept revving it a little at to keep it running then my son yelled at me to come and eat so I had to lay it down for awhile.
After eating I cranked it back up and it sputtered for a little bit till it got all warmed up and it seemed to rev up purdy good. I tried it out a few minutes on some grass then shut it off.

The balance feels good and it doesn't seem to vibrate as much as others I've use. I haven't tried the edger out yet but maybe tomorrow and will add to this review later.

I think I made a good choice on this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have had good luck with the Echo products I have had. I have a trimmer,blower and the tiller. All run great and havent given any trouble.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that I have had it and use it some I really like it. The straight shaft handles better and reaches under the deck and brush easier than the curved shaft I have.

I have used the edger a couple of times and it makes the driveway look nicer,I also edged my neighbors driveway yesterday and she really like how it looked.

I also have a blower attachment that I used with my Toro that I adapted to fit the Echo. The cable is the same size so I figure I could get it to work,all I had to do was take off about .025'' of the shaft and filed it smooth. It works as if it were made for it.

That's about all I have to say in this review, and I would recommend it.

I do have a question that I will ask in "The Tool Shed".

·
Registered
81 Posts
My trimmer died on me today and I have been looking at this Echo combo unit tonight on the internet. I'm curious now that you are into the second year of it if you would still recommend it.
Do the different components swap out with ease? Does the engine continue to start easy?
Thanks for any thoughts you might share with me.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My trimmer died on me today and I have been looking at this Echo combo unit tonight on the internet. I'm curious now that you are into the second year of it if you would still recommend it.
Do the different components swap out with ease? Does the engine continue to start easy?
Thanks for any thoughts you might share with me.
Hi Fringe.

I have the same unit as Stewart, and am on my second season with it. Mine runs flawlessly. Also, it is very easy to swap out the components. The one modification that I made was to swap out the head unit for the quick loading head. I would buy this unit again today. I hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi Fringe.

I have the same unit as Stewart, and am on my second season with it. Mine runs flawlessly. Also, it is very easy to swap out the components. The one modification that I made was to swap out the head unit for the quick loading head. I would buy this unit again today. I hope this helps you out.
Thanks for the response. I have not made a purchase yet, hoping to hear from some who have bought this. Good to hear it's still running strong.
Thaks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts