My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of getting one of these lately. I have a Toro trimmer thats about 5 years old but want to get another one that has a straight shank. I want an edger also,the Toro is commercial grade but doesn't come with an edger. The Echo comes with an edger but cost over $100 more than I could get the Toro and attachment for.

The Toro I think is 25.4cc and the Echo is 21.2 with Power Boost Votex.

Which would be more powerful?
Which one would be better for the money?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I also have a blower attachment for my Toro,will that attachment fit on the Echo?
From looking at it at the store it looks like it might fit.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I like ECHO better. I never have owned a Toro, but I think I have had every other one made from jd to redmax. I have a straight shaft a bit bigger then that one and have no problems with it. Not sure if the attachments are interchangeable, I was never a fan of them, but they look convenient for the cost.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,I love the attachments because of that reason.

What about the power of the 21.2cc,think it's powerful enough?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I've used both for quite sometime and I prefer Echo. Although, I've been really happy with my Stihl trimmer. Not saying that Stihl is superior to every brand out there, but all of the Stihl trimmers, saws and blowers that I've used over the years have outlasted the legions of others that I've used and 86'd.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The Echo uses .095" line. The Toro doesn't say. Line size is like wheelbase, get the largest one you can.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
The Echo uses .095" line. The Toro doesn't say. Line size is like wheelbase, get the largest one you can.
I bought the Echo trimmer (curve shaft) and you can go up to .130 for the line.

It's my first trimmer so I can not give a comparison comment on it, work very good so far. :)

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
For basic trimming needs, the Echo 21.2 with Power Boost technology has plenty of power for it's size. The SRM-210 have been popular with many commerical users due to their size/weight, and performance. You only need more CC's if you intend to use the P.A.S. system with attachments. It will be easier to get needed parts abroad with an Echo product over the Toro brand.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For basic trimming needs, the Echo 21.2 with Power Boost technology has plenty of power for it's size. The SRM-210 have been popular with many commerical users due to their size/weight, and performance. You only need more CC's if you intend to use the P.A.S. system with attachments. It will be easier to get needed parts abroad with an Echo product over the Toro brand.

The only attachments I plan to use are the two that come with it,a straight shaft trimmer and the edger plus a blower,if mine will fit.I can go to HD and put an attachment on the Echo to see if it'll fit but won't know if it'll work til I crank it up.But if it will fit and tighten down it should work.

If it won't fit I may just go with the Toro.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back from HD and tried to put the Toro straight shaft on the Echo and it would not fit. I might get my calipers out and do some measuring to see if I can modify the blower attachment to see if I could get it to work. If not I guess I'll get the Toro.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well,I just got a new Toro 18'' trimmer with an edger attachment.
Still don't know if I made the right choice,though. After I got it first thing I read on the box was ''Made In China''. Echo is made in USA and I think the engines are from Japan.

I may have to do some more thinking on this before I take them out of the box and use them,thinking hard on returning them and getting the Echo PAS225VP.

I modified the shank on my blower attachment to where it'll fit in the Echo but haven't used it so I don't know if it'll totally work. It should,the shank fit's in nice and snug and the square head on the cable is very close,the blower attachment is within .010'' of the Echos.

The Echo is only like $85 more but should be better.

Any more opinions?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts