My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for an Echo HCR-1500 type 1E. It is very hard to start, usually 12 or 13 pulls just to get it to burp.

I replaced the carb this year, fuel lines and fuel filter last year, plug and air filter this year, primer bulb this year. Using brand new can of Tru-Fuel. With all that it still is hard to get it running. BUT, once I get it running, it stays running and runs like a dream. Gets up to rpm quickly and does everything I need it to do until I hit the "off" switch.

So my question(s) are: Do magnetos go bad often? I suppose anything is possible. Have any of you replaced magnetos in your weed whacker or hedge clipper? Who sells a good aftermarket replacement? Anything else I should be looking at that might cause hard starting?

Thanks in advance. Hot Ajax

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is for an Echo HCR-1500 type 1E. It is very hard to start, usually 12 or 13 pulls just to get it to burp.

I replaced the carb this year, fuel lines and fuel filter last year, plug and air filter this year, primer bulb this year. Using brand new can of Tru-Fuel. With all that it still is hard to get it running. BUT, once I get it running, it stays running and runs like a dream. Gets up to rpm quickly and does everything I need it to do until I hit the "off" switch.

So my question(s) are: Do magnetos go bad often? I suppose anything is possible. Have any of you replaced magnetos in your weed whacker or hedge clipper? Who sells a good aftermarket replacement? Anything else I should be looking at that might cause hard starting?

Thanks in advance. Hot Ajax
I've never had a magneto go bad in a blower, trimmer or chainsaw but with age, changing heat cycles and moisture it wouldn't surprise me. I would assume your trimmers don't have points and a condenser, but if they do you could always try cleaning the points or replacing them.

Since you've replaced so many parts I doubt one of them is the culprit and once its running it runs well so in my mind that rules out crankshaft seals. You could try riching up the low speed screw to give it more fuel when starting to see if that helps. Also, you could clean or replace he spark arrestor screen in the muffler to see if that helps.

I would recommend against aftermarket magnetos as I've had terrible luck with them on my lawn-boys.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a cheap hedge trimmer that I use about twice a year. I use Marine Stabil in the gas, but whether I run mine dry or not after use, most of the time I have to open up the carb and do a little cleaning to get it to run well when I want to use it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a cheap hedge trimmer that I use about twice a year. I use Marine Stabil in the gas, but whether I run mine dry or not after use, most of the time I have to open up the carb and do a little cleaning to get it to run well when I want to use it.
Thanks, Wayne. It's running good now. As it turned out, after I asked for help from you guys, the air filter was still the same old dirty one that I never changed when I thought I did. Works like a dream.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts