My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got given an Echo srm 210,it runs but barely.It doesnt appear to have had much use but the compression is only 100 psi.I am a long time Echo owner,my old srm 1501 is 21 years old and has been run hard and has many hrs on it and still has 135 psi and my srm 2100 has fewer hrs and has 145 psi.I was going to just part the 210 but if I can fix it on the cheap I would like to keep it.The cyl and piston are in good shape so do you guys think a set of rings would bring it back?It must have either had too light a mixture or maybe saw some straight gas,I have no history on it.Both my old ones have been very good to me for many years.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Its worth a shot . I put rings on a old stihl fs66 once. The guy who brought it to me said it hadn't been ran in years. When you pulled the rope gas came out the muffler. All it needed was rings and a carb rebuild. Its simple and the rings were easy to find on ebay . Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally got back to the 210,put in new rings,base gasket and splurged for a new carb.It runs great,the compression only came up to 120 from 100.I had hoped for more but I guess it is acceptable and it might come up some more after I run it awhile and the rings break in.About $75 total in parts,the trimmer was a freebie.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Did you run a hone LIGHTLY (don't want to eat through the coating) so the new rings would have something to bite into? Yes when they seat in compression will go up, it will probably take at least 10 tanks of fuel.

Joe

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't hone it per say joe for fear of doing damage as you said,I did take some fine crocus cloth and cleaned it up just using my fingers.The cross hatch was still visible.I ran it hard the next day and ran 2 tanks of fuel through it,cut some heavy stuff and it ran very well seemed to have plenty of power.It starts on 2-3 pulls and it sounds right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts