My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some are a little guarded on their "tricks" for finding collectibles on ebay, some sellers list things under the wrong category which often makes it not show up if you search under specific categories... Today I was rather frustrated with my usual search because for every lawn boy MOWER item there was 5 PHISH albums. UGH, no ebay, not what I want... As much as I use ebay I wasn't aware of this trick... Another would be the gary paulsen books... A -Paulsen solves that too!

If you want to EXCLUDE something from your search, simply add a "-" in front of the search word to exclude in your usual search. Mine is now permanently -Phish . For those who didn't know.... you're welcome!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Re: Ebay searchin' tricks

that is not an ebay trick it is a search engine "trick." it will work anywhere you have to search something. YOu also use words like "and" or "or" to refine searches. Put ' "" ' around a search and you will only get that exact combination of words. This is just how theprogram is coded.

·
Administrator
21,146 Posts
This was posted down in the WalkBehind section, but it was a pretty neat tip. Littletractorguy thought we should share it here for folks as well. Just insert your computer/electronic search term in place of Mower or LawnBoy (We sure don't want more folks to become afflicted with the dreaded Lawnboy Addiction Disorder, or LBAD).

·
Collector of many tractors
15,248 Posts
I never look under categories... I just search in the first search box and go...
This is one of my search saves...

(antique,vintage,old) machine -slot -sewing -adding -candy -gum -vending -coke -gumball

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have found this trick to be very good. Its a small program that searches for you and sends you a e-mail when something you were searching for was posted or not .

http://www.list-alert.com/

I just want to thank those who posted tricks and things they may have learned along the way here in this world of technology. And shared with out a doubt with others . :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I happen to have some Gary Paulson books. I tried to sell them all in a lot but some kid bought the "Hatchet" book all by itself.
I wonder if we are about to have a Hatchet murder in Houston TX?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Darn! Typed out a big long tip and it appears to have not gone through. Anyway, here is the short version :)

I use Google Alerts for Craigslist and it can be used for eBay as well. You can enter a boolean command with Google Alerts. For instance, to monitor CL in Hartford, CT; I use the following:

Lawn boy -tickets -phish -labor
-personals
site:Hartford.Craigslist.org

Then in alert settings change it to email as it happens. Set your email address and all results. Obviously add the URL of the local CL city you want to watch.

What happens then, is Google will email you results for Lawn Boy or Lawnboy, without lawn seats, phish albums, ads looking for lawn boys or hung lawn boys (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I usually receive an email from Google within 10 minutes of a new Lawn Boy posting in the cities I monitor. You can do the same with eBay. Just use kbeitz's negative keywords and change the "site:" to eBay.com instead of a CL URL.

So there's my secret sauce for getting in ahead of everyone else. Wait maybe I shouldn't have given that away :D Good luck! Feel free to post any questions if you have them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Ebay searchin' tricks

that is not an ebay trick it is a search engine "trick." it will work anywhere you have to search something. YOu also use words like "and" or "or" to refine searches. Put ' "" ' around a search and you will only get that exact combination of words. This is just how theprogram is coded.
To elaborate a little on this, the pipe | and ampersand & can be used for "or" and "and". Also you can use it multiple times in the string: lawn | garden tractor |mower

Thanks Lawn-man!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts