My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Ht23 that I completely took apart, sand blasted, painted restored.
When I reconnected the hydro to the hydralic lines, I did not fill the oil filter with fluid, nor do any bleeding process. The unit works now, but groans a lot, especially at low rpm. Also, the hydralic levers kind of bind up when they reach the end of travel.

I found the bleeding procedure in the eaton manual, but only after I had done the above.

Anyone know what I should do at this point?

help appreciated!

·
22,338 Posts
What kind of oil did you put in it? Have you checked the oil level recently?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
OOOOOOHHHH!!!

I got an idea!!!:00000060: A little help here it will pop out!! :bananapow

I have seen this when the return line is blocked or hooked up wrong, so the oil has no where to go.

Typically, it comes from hooking up a power beyond wrong.

I would look for a incorrectly reconnected line. Specifically, the valve return line.

It would explain the groan, and the binding valve.

:dunno:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used Napa Premium Heavy Duty Tractor Hydraulic & Transmission Fluid

I dont think any of the lines are connected wrong, I took the valve body and hydraulic lines and main cylinder off in one piece. Also, not sure which line they call the "pick-up" line in the manual. The picture was vague.

Two other thoughts come to my mind. first, the lines that go forward and rear to the quick connects were empty when reconnected. Since I have not hooked them up to anything, their could be trapped air in them. Might that be an issue?

Second: I took the power steering cylinder apart and replaced the seals and o rings. I put it back together the way it came apart. I just hooked the lines back up the way they came off. Any chance air is trapped in the cylinder, or maybe their is a procedure of reconnection I missed?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I have had 200+ customers call and ask;

"the valve binds, and the pump growls"

I gave them the above answer to fix the problem.

What answer do you think I am puttin' my money on? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I didn't know the HT-23 had an Eaton hydro, I thought they were Sunstrand.

·
5,523 Posts
I didn't know the HT-23 had an Eaton hydro, I thought they were Sunstrand.
1250-eaton 12
1455-eaton 12
1476-eaton 12
1477-eaton 12
1886-eaton 12 1886-01,02,03,04
HT18-sunstrand 15 1886s-05,06
HT20-sunstrand 15
HT20D-eaton 11
HT22- eaton 11
HT23-eaton 11
HDT1000-eaton 11

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
WJ; thanks for the list. Then I guess my DGT1700 must have the Eaton 11 in it. I know that it has the 2 speed rear.

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
They take 30 or SAE10-40 engine oil.....
Not Hydraulic oil...
Not all Bolens hydros use the same oil.

The Large Frame Service Manual which covers the HT18, HT20, and HT23 (and it's variants) specifies:

Bolens Oil 1738157 (Benzoil THL 19), or Mobile 423, or Texico TDH.

Those are all hydraulic fluids, not motor oil. All of those also conform to the John Deere J20C specification.

84EdH used the proper fluid.

·
Young Bolens Collector
1,474 Posts
In my brother's HT23, we run John Deere Low Gard fluid. The HT23 does have the same casing on the backside, because they are the same rear ends, but the hydropump in a 20 and HT18 are the Sunstrand 15. You would think they were the same unless you poke your head under the seatpan.

·
22,338 Posts
Not all Bolens hydros use the same oil.

The Large Frame Service Manual which covers the HT18, HT20, and HT23 (and it's variants) specifies:

Bolens Oil 1738157 (Benzoil THL 19), or Mobile 423, or Texico TDH.

Those are all hydraulic fluids, not motor oil. All of those also conform to the John Deere J20C specification.

84EdH used the proper fluid.
On the other hand, Sundstrand specifes that most quality hydraulic fluids are acceptable. That includes the motor oil and ATF that some of the other tractor manufacturers recommend for the same hydro that is in the HT18 and HT20.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts