My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would guess some thing is broke. Sounds like it needs oil. Is the input shaft turning not just the drive shaft ? They will make that noise if the input spline is stripped.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
north of Toronto Paul .I plan to open it up next week and have a look.It still runs just fine and the noise subsides after about 10 minutes but it can't keep going for long...Scott

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Larry I have that pdf. i'm going to drain the Eaton and see if there is anything there.by the way are you using dextron 2 in your Eaton?

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
thanks Larry I have that pdf. i'm going to drain the Eaton and see if there is anything there.by the way are you using dextron 2 in your Eaton?
Eatons are fantastic pumps and run equally well on ATF (red), Hydraulic oil (clear) or 20W motor oil (golden).

First thing I would be doing (after checking the fluid level and color) is replacing the filter as the contaminated fluid passes thru there before returning to the sump. (at least in the case of my Jake built Fords with Peerless transaxles.)

If the filter is a spin on, cut it open and see what's inside. (probably filled with silver paste) The bottom drain plug may also offer up larger pieces, and if the fluid is black, it's had a cooling problem.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Larry the atf is clean and fluid level is spot on.the machine is working perfectly.I hope it might clear with a fluid change and filter. I will check the hoses as a collapsed hydro line could starve the unit..Scott

·
Registered
377 Posts
well I started up the old girl and no noise? now i'm really confused. will do the filter and oil change and see what happens...Scott

https://vimeo.com/287129241
I have three of these eaton-11 on H16XL and one did not whine then put different filter and oil in [Why?? LOL] that one and a whine started?? So got a good filter [no by-pass] and put 10w-30 shell Hydro static Fluid in it like my others and no more whine? So thats all I can add they been running good now on Hot days I run my loader with two speed rear for 4 hours and Temp in Trans is around 140 F.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
did the oil and filter change today.It turns out the filter was incorrect it was a 1068 NAPA gold. all still seems fine again,the whine has subsided. I used a NAPA 1410 filter and dextron 3mercon part #pf-atf-dm-qt.cut the lawn and all was fine...Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts