My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current Z645 is running and mowing now.
Today I ran it about an hour at my sons house and after I got it home I decided to see how the new belt had held up. Not very well. The 2 pictures are of the same tractor supply belt.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I decided to take a look at the pulleys and found a lot of rust on the drive pulley.

If the rust in the pulley is not causing the premature wear I don't know what it.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
5,690 Posts
Check how freely all the pulleys/idlers/spindles rotate, and if they are all aligned properly.

Another thing to do is immediately after using the mower for awhile, after turning off the motor, feel/measure (if you have an IR gun) how warm the belt is. it should just be warm, not uncomfortable to touch doing a regular cut of a lawn (really tall, thick grass can make it hot).

·
Super Moderator
35,782 Posts
I would clean that pulley up, but one if the things is that JD uses a different angle on their pulleys so aftermarket belts not having the same angle as the JD belts don't hold up well, I went through a couple of kevlar aftermarket belts on my tiller then had the JD dealer get me a JD belt and it is holding up much better.

·
Certified Technician
8,504 Posts
I would clean that pulley up, but one if the things is that JD uses a different angle on their pulleys so aftermarket belts not having the same angle as the JD belts don't hold up well, I went through a couple of kevlar aftermarket belts on my tiller then had the JD dealer get me a JD belt and it is holding up much better.
What models? Ive been selling D&D, true blue, and stens belts for deere mowers for about a decade and haven't seen any instances yet where deere didn't use a 3L/4L/5L section belt with the exception of the General Trans models that require the oem belt from GT.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered new pulleys for the engine and pump, I can feel a ridge on both of them. The idler looks ok for now. Both are aftermarket from Phoenix Mfg, they were both a lot less expensive than OE. I'll get another Tractor Supply belt when I put it back together.
Cannon

·
Super Moderator
35,782 Posts
What models? Ive been selling D&D, true blue, and stens belts for deere mowers for about a decade and haven't seen any instances yet where deere didn't use a 3L/4L/5L section belt with the exception of the General Trans models that require the oem belt from GT.
All of them Red. But there are several aftermarket belt manufacturers who do have belts with that angle. In fact many on the JD website have an "alternate" (cheaper) belt available.

·
Certified Technician
8,504 Posts
All of them Red. But there are several aftermarket belt manufacturers who do have belts with that angle. In fact many on the JD website have an "alternate" (cheaper) belt available.

View attachment 2501798

View attachment 2501799
Right but using that example, deck belt for a 38" deck on a 200 series, 316, 318, 322, 332...

Oem number M82538
Comes up as a 1/2" wide 64"od belt with no listed additional special dimensions.

Crossed to:
  • Rotary - 7507
  • Laser - 95547
  • Sunbelt - B1A62K
  • Stens - 248-064
That stens belt also crosses to about 45 oem belts of the same size.

I just don't see anything unique about deere pulleys or belts vs other brands. I can't fathom the expense of tooling up a special line purely to make unique pulleys, belts...for 1 manufacturer.

Ill do some digging...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts