My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see by the pictures the lever is broken. But once I fix it, just what does that lever do. I started to work on it and had to fix a few small things before I could try to start it. But once I put the battery in, it started like it had just been running. It has a good oil leak in the front of the engine that I will have to check out and see what is leaking. But I took it for a test drive and everything seams to work okay. So you guys with the old John Deeres please let me know what the lever is for. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
That's the variator lever. It varies the speed of the tractor from slow (all the way back where you have it now) to degrees of faster (as you move it forward) while in a given gear while you are moving.

·
Super Moderator
33,631 Posts
Orange JD as Bradz1st110 said it's the variator. If you look under the tractor the assembly where the primary and secondary drive belts meet is the variator. The handle moves that assembly forward and back. That allows a center sheave between the two belts to move left and right (if you take a belt off it should move easily by hand left or right) and the belts ride up or lower (which changes the ratios and speed) in the sheaves. Hope this helps!

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is all I need to know at this time. Thanks a ton guys. :thThumbsU

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Good luck with it. slkpk

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts