My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not condoning this as the safest way to do this, but I've been doing it for years without a trip to the E.R.

I use a 14" abrasive saw like this, (http://roctools.com/product_info.php?pName=14-abrasive-cutoff-saw&cName=ac-power-tools).

I flip the guard up to expose the full blade, turn on the saw and lock the trigger. With the saw running, I then use the side of the abrasive saw blade to sharpen the 2 blades from my 40" deck mower. If you're careful, it only takes several passes at the correct angle to give you a sharp blade.

Fletch

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
A decent sized belt sander will do that job as well.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I work in a fabrication shop. We use all sorts of power equipment for all sorts of things. Using an cutoff saw for a grinder is considered an unsafe act and will result in automatic termination where I work. They tell us that the wheel is not designed for that use and can come apart. The one man I knew that did that got away with it until a blade came apart and almost took his thumb. My employer payed his doctor bills but he subsequently was fired for being unsafe. Do as you will just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
I work in a fabrication shop. We use all sorts of power equipment for all sorts of things. Using an cutoff saw for a grinder is considered an unsafe act and will result in automatic termination where I work. They tell us that the wheel is not designed for that use and can come apart. The one man I knew that did that got away with it until a blade came apart and almost took his thumb. My employer payed his doctor bills but he subsequently was fired for being unsafe. Do as you will just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
It took an act of Congress to allow me to even use a chop saw for cutting stainless reinforced hose so doing that would have gotten both me and the supervisor fired for an unsafe act. Bad enough that the wheels can explode when used properly, no need to tempt fate.

I do on occasion use a 4.5" angle grinder for sharpening blades as the flapdiscs do a good job of touching up the carbide inserts.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The blade of a chop saw is not made for side pressure, only downward force. I had one blow on my chop saw when the angle I was cutting slipped. Be very careful with that procedure.

BUD

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
That may bite you someday, use the right tool for the right job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you ever walk out in a busy intersection without looking, then someone you don't even know, grabs your arm and saves you from a possible accident?
Well, that's how I feel. I really appreciate all the concerns for my safety !!! Sometimes, I can't see the forrest for the trees, but you guys have really opened up my eyes on this, and for that, I thank you.
I won't be doing this dangerous act again, and by saying that, I'll be sure to stay out of the E.R.
Now, I'm going to get those lottery tickets !!!

Thanks fellows,
Fletch

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Well here is one that I think is safe. I put the grinding wheel (not a cut off wheel) on my 4in grinder on upside down, then use it to dress the blade on my 30 inch brush hog, that way you don't have to take the blade off the machine. I put the wheel on upside down so I am still using the correct side of the wheel. I wear safety glasses, long pants, gloves, use a grounded outlet, have proper ventilation, and do it with the deck off of the tractor. No short cut is worth being unsafe. It is too easy to become complacent with power tools and forget the potental danger. It is when you are just trying to do something quick that you get hurt, and power tools bite hard. Be safe out there. Ed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Put the blade in a vice, with the cutting edge facing up. The cutting edge will assume about a 60 degree angle. Use your angle grinder, match the angle of the blade and start grinding. I have tried many ways to sharpen mower blades, and I find this way the best.

·
My Orange Jane Deere
3,358 Posts
Well I always do it the safe way for me. I have the wife use the chop saw and I am not even in the same room. Now that is safe.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey heli.
That seems to be the best way I've heard of to sharpen the blades. Thanks for the tip !
fletch

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Dremel makes an attachment for doing this to get the angle right. I've used and it seems to work fine, can be done without removing the blades, etc. Doubting it will work on the 30" bush hog blade due to the thickness, however.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Put the blade in a vice, with the cutting edge facing up. The cutting edge will assume about a 60 degree angle. Use your angle grinder, match the angle of the blade and start grinding. I have tried many ways to sharpen mower blades, and I find this way the best.
This is the way that I sharpen mine also. It works great and only takes me about ten minutes, including removing the blade from the mower. :fing32:

·
I have G.A.S.
1,567 Posts
I had my GMT 9000 off it's 72" mower today to rebuild the mower gearbox & I forgot to flip it over to pull the blades & sharpen them. sigh.
But I also rebuilt the deck lift hydraulic cylinder so I think I can easily reach them now that it lifts as it should.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts