My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Earthway garden seeder to plant my 50' long rows of sweet corn and ornamental corn. I put some sweet corn seed in the seed hopper and tried it out on my family room carpet. It seems to be a little inconsistent when dropping the sweet corn seed. It will make a double or triple seed drop, or totally skip all together. I followed Earthway's tip of washing the seed plates and seed hopper with soapy water, and I checked to make sure that I was using the sweet corn seed plate. Also, Earthway suggested to tip the seeder to the seed plate side a little when pushing it. Does anyone have any experience or input on this garden seeder?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Even though the planter may say to use that seed plate, your seed size may be
way different from what the plate was made for. We have several different plates
for our JD 71 two row planter and the plate selection all depends on the seed
size. You may have to use a plate with a smaller opening if you're getting double
and triple drops at once. Sounds like the plate opening is allowing too many
seeds to drop into the opening and then when an extra couple kernels drop in
it's jamming and not letting any out.

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
I have a couple of the Earthway planters. Had them hooked together for double rows and they work great. Yep, they'll double up on the seed now and again. Try using the different seed plates. Also yo may want to sand the rough edges off the plates so they don't snag any seeds. They're a great unit for the price.

·
BANNED
469 Posts
A friend of mine has one of those, I planted lettace, radish, onion, and snow peas with it and it did miss and double up but all and all did a great job. I think I may buy one, sure is easier on the ol back.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Been using one for years, but they do have issues. The corn plate is way too large for smaller seed varieties, such as "early sunglow" corn I just planted. With the small seed, you actually can get as many as 4 seed at a drop. I planted my early sunglow by hand to avoid wasting so much seed due to thinning later.
Skips aren't too often, as multi drops are the main problem. I think the corn plate drops too close too, so I usually use the bean plate for corn & tape over every other drop in the plate to make 3 drops per revolution instead of 4. Spaces better to my liking. The bean plate for beans works perfectly fine, but I have to tear off the tape I used previously with corn seed.
Yep, I use my planter at atilt. Makes for less skips.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
olcowhand,

I tried what you suggested with the bean seed plate, and it works a lot better. I also tried it with the beet seed plate, but the results weren't as good compared to the bean seed plate. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Well....just so what if it drops a few extra seeds?
Ignorant me, I'd think you'd just get two plants in one spot. Is there somehting wrong with that?

Missing seeds are a pain. I borrowed one of those hand-operated planters and believed (like any ol' non farming yankee) and we were un-plesantly surprised with big spaces.

I think I'd rather have too many drops than not enough! Am I distorted in my thinking there?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I just bought one at our local farm king. Will try it in green beans tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I think I'd rather have too many drops than not enough! Am I distorted in my thinking there?
Kinda but not really. If you're having too few drops you can always get an adequate plant density by adjusting your row spacing. But if you're getting two or more corn stalks or carrots or such rooting in the same spot they're just not going to grow properly and will require thinning.

I won't complain though -- using one still saves tons of time. You can plant quite a lot of garden with these things.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,651 Posts
I bought one this year and love it. I experienced the same things you all have mentioned, skips and double-ups, but it still beats the heck out of doing it by hand. I planted Silver Queen and Golden Queen corn, the most I saw was two kernels at a time. I can live with that. I actually like a tighter spacing, so I went down each row twice. I'll thin out some of the plants as they come up, and the crows will also thin some out, **** their eyes.

The bean wheel was right on for Mtn half-runners.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Boy!!!! All this talk about seeding and I'm still looking at soupy mud with standing water.
I've been collecting rain water to refill my pool after the Tornado emptied it. Every time I pour some water into the pool I say thanks, then I look over at the Swampy muddy garden plot and say 'Gee I wish....'

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Used my new seeder today. planted about a pound of beans. Planted one of my giant tree tomatoes and one old one called Mr Lincoln. Will have to see how they produce.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,651 Posts
Boy!!!! All this talk about seeding and I'm still looking at soupy mud with standing water.
.........then I look over at the Swampy muddy garden plot and say 'Gee I wish....'
Sounds like the makin's for a good rice paddy.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anyone know where I can borrow or rent one of these seeders? I would like to try one out, then maybe buy my own next year.
I am in NE Ohio, Medina County to be specific.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You will have to check around for anybody that has one. As far as renting one check with your local Seed Supply? I dont know, I barrow one from a friend, and may get my own since the are less than $100.00

·
Citizen of Earth
15,419 Posts
I bought mine used at a yard sale for about half the price of new at the time. I've had it 25 years and maybe used it a dozen times. My main problem is it's designed for someone a lot shorter than me. I have to stoop over at about a 30 degree angle to push the thing and that just kills my back. I looked at it recently and it needs a new drive belt and I'm not spending the money on it anytime soon.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here's a low budget tip for planting larger seeds like corn and beans...I use a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe about 4' long...you just point the bottom where you want your seed, and drop it down the tube. I realize it probably wouldn't be the fastest way to do large areas like acres or corn, but I planted about 450 plants this way, and it saves on your back since you don't have to bend over!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bought mine used at a yard sale for about half the price of new at the time. I've had it 25 years and maybe used it a dozen times. My main problem is it's designed for someone a lot shorter than me. I have to stoop over at about a 30 degree angle to push the thing and that just kills my back. I looked at it recently and it needs a new drive belt and I'm not spending the money on it anytime soon.
If you have any interest in selling it, let me know how much and what shipping would be to 13323, lol!!:thanku:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts