My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.1----10 miles NW of CONCORD, New Hampshire today, hope everybody is alright...:praying:

·
Administrator
12,532 Posts
I just saw the news, hope it's not a sign of more bad things to come. I always here of the North East due for a biggie earthquake. Hope it never shows up.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I just talked to my parents and they said they were woken up by it last night!

·
Registered
421 Posts
This is why I carry earthquake insurance even though I'm in Ohio. Whats insurance for if it isn't for the unexpected.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
It's not just New England.

We have had six earthquakes here in West Virginia in the last six or seven months. Nothing over a magnitude 2.5 I believe.

I have read that there are several people theorizing that they are due to the increased gas drilling into the Marcellus shale. I guess time will tell.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I didn't feel it so much as hear it. Sounded like a big dump truck driving close to the house.

It was "only" a 3.1 but it was relatively shallow - only about 2 miles deep.

We had one early in the morning a few years back that was strong and long enough to wake me up - it was enough to knock some decorative plates off the entertainment center in the living room.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If you think about it, they've been sucking oil and natural gas out of the earth for years.....what do they think is going to happen to all those big vacant pockets they leave?
It's like pulling bricks out of a huge wall......eventually over time, it starts correcting itself.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Water, too:

Image from USGS, 1977 .

The photograph above illustrates subsidence in the San Joaquin Valley, California. In the photo, USGS scientist Joe Poland shows subsidence between 1925 and 1977 due to fluid withdrawal and soil consolidation.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
That's scary.....and it really disappoints me when I think of the people who initiate destroying this planet for pure profit.....I'm talking making so much money off it, that they could feed the whole nation for generations with a years profit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts