My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at this in my local C'list. I posted this over in the L & G Accessories Forum, and I got a couple of responses that sorta placed it as a Sears proprietary 3 pth type.

My question is would anybody have a better photo of one they might have in their stable of implements that you could post. This photo is a little hard for me to see the details. In fact, I don't see the Trip arm lever in this photo.

I need to see a complete one in a hook up to a Sears SS or the like, so when I go look at it, I'll be able to see any problems with it, before I just fork a lot of money over for it.

The other more clear photo, is one of fellow MTF member, Steevo, showing his FD36 which has a more normal 3 point hitch arrangement on it. It is the first photo.......

Help me out with a photo of another Earthcavator for a Sears so I can compare the one in the 2nd photo. This is the one in my local Craigslist.

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
I think $500.00 is a lot of money for one !!

·
Registered
248 Posts
The mounting arms on that look like an early Bolens or similar. Not the best pic , but it does look close to the same. The last one i saw for sale was a sears fd-36 that came up on www.weekendfreedommachines.com that had no paint left on it. Asking price was $500 , and i don't think it lasted more than a day.
Mike

Attachments

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses! I was hoping to see a particular one that was the Sears proprietary hitch to compare. But I've contacted Steevo and looked at his two FD36's photo's. I also spotted one somewhere that specifically mentioned they had converted the Sears hitch to the standard 3 pth arrangement and had a photo of the conversion. Even still had the welding smoke marks on the steel.

The bottom line on the price is this is not 40 miles from me, and I want it. If he won't come down on the price, I'll just hand him his asking price. And I won't be sad about it. You don't get these kind of opportunities very often, and if you snooze you lose. He happened to have had it listed for about a month and it hadn't sold yet. When I contacted him, he emailed that he is out of the country until near the end of this month. He promised to call me, and I told him I wanted to come look at it (get it) as soon as was convenient for him to let me do so.

Since I am the pessimist extraordinaire, my fear is that he'll have a "neighbor" suddenly hear about it and decide to buy it. I've had similar deals, where that has happened.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
e-mail; out of the country? Craigs List? sounds familiar. watch out unless I'm wrong. I hope I am.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I was hoping to see a particular one that was the Sears proprietary hitch to compare. But I've contacted Steevo and looked at his two FD36's photo's. I also spotted one somewhere that specifically mentioned they had converted the Sears hitch to the standard 3 pth arrangement and had a photo of the conversion. Even still had the welding smoke marks on the steel.
You do realize the picture in post 3 is a Stock Earthcavator that Sears sold for the Suburban tractors. That tractor is a 1973 ST/16 same as the SS tractors.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You do realize the picture in post 3 is a Stock Earthcavator that Sears sold for the Suburban tractors. That tractor is a 1973 ST/16 same as the SS tractors.
No I didn't, which was the point of my question. Show me one that is a little more clear of a photo, so I could see the hitch arrangement. At the beginning several members said it looked like ones they had or had seen for Sears.

I just wanted be forewarned before going to look at it. I already have seen a FD36 that Steevo has, so I know what std 3 pth arrangement looks like. Well, I guess I can take photo's of that one and if it don't match, start trying to get it even though it might be a Sears hitch, it won't be by the time I get done with it anyway.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
e-mail; out of the country? Craigs List? sounds familiar. watch out unless I'm wrong. I hope I am.
Well, yea, scam possibility, but I doubt it. He's asking a fairly hefty amount for it. It isn't a steal. It is in my neck of the woods. So I intend to go look at it, when he gets back into the country. If he has shifty eyes, and is in the boondocks, and I hear the "Deliverance" theme music, I 'll be sure to ask him for ID. No, I don't think anything of it. For all I know, he is big time millionaire, traveling the world. Nah, I really don't worry about it. He's legit. Most of the non legit ones are selling stuff at ridiculous low, too good to be true, prices. He is asking a touch too high price if anything. And I agree with Steevo, it is really a fair price for such a desirable item.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
No I didn't, which was the point of my question. Show me one that is a little more clear of a photo, so I could see the hitch arrangement. At the beginning several members said it looked like ones they had or had seen for Sears.

Are you really looking at the picture ?? Hard to beleave you can't see that is a Sears hitch. No other brand tractor has a top link like that.

That picture shows the hitch arrangment and the Sears 3 point hitch. That is what it should look like if it was made to fit a sears.

If you look you can tell the different's between your 2 photos. The 1st picture looks like mine.

Your 2nd picture the earthcavator is up side down so it looks different but.... you can see where the arms mount is farther apart., it even has one hitch arm still on it. Don't look like a sears to me.

Either way you can make it fit pretty easy.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Were they all sold by sears? Mine looks just like the ones in the pic, except it's yellow. Fits the cat "0" 3pt on my Wheelhorse perfectly. Slightly off for the 3pt on my SS 16.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Were they all sold by sears? Mine looks just like the ones in the pic, except it's yellow. Fits the cat "0" 3pt on my Wheelhorse perfectly. Slightly off for the 3pt on my SS 16.
No they were not all sold by Sears. Sears is not a cat 0 hitch, so they sold a model to fit there tractors. Same earthcavator, just different hitch location then the cat 0 model.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you really looking at the picture ?? Hard to beleave you can't see that is a Sears hitch. No other brand tractor has a top link like that.

That picture shows the hitch arrangment and the Sears 3 point hitch. That is what it should look like if it was made to fit a sears.

If you look you can tell the different's between your 2 photos. The 1st picture looks like mine.

Your 2nd picture the earthcavator is up side down so it looks different but.... you can see where the arms mount is farther apart., it even has one hitch arm still on it. Don't look like a sears to me.

Either way you can make it fit pretty easy.
Well, see the thing is, I don't know what a Sears hitch looks like. I posted this here after I was told over on the lawn/garden attachments forum it look like it was maybe a Sears hitch arrangement. And yes I have the photo of the Cat 0 3 pth, which is what I want for it to end up as. Yes those hitch arms are the lower arms from a Bolens 18010 3 pth set up.

I was merely trying to get another photo of a Sears "Vator" to compare to the one I have off the C'list ad. I'm just trying to be certain of what it is I'm looking at before I go in person. My idea was to see different models so I could determine if any mods had been done.

You have conclusively identified the Vator as a Sears hitch style or maybe a Wheel horse could be the set up. Either way, I hope to end up with it and now I have a little more info that will make sure I can act a little informed when I go look at it. It helps when talking price. IMHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts