My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a chance to get a 3pt hitch grader blade and spiked harrow for my sears suburban but with the job that i need to do im not sure if they will do it :dunno: , the plan this spring is to level out a hill that ive been working on "and still working on" but only with a plow to break it up so im wondering if it would be worth it to get these attachments or just keep goin? the plow im using in between this warm weather is a brinly 15in garden plow, its done me well and definately gives my sears a work out, traveling up and down the hill but im not sure if its enough to finish the job. i now im goin to need a grader blade soon but if its worth the money right now and if it could help with the field.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Any time a Sears Suburban grader blade comes along I jump on it. Very heavy and capable, but don't expect it to perform anything like a box blade on a Massey Ferguson 235...which would knock down a dirt hill in no time.

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
Another member in here used a turning plow with a front dozer blade to level out some small hills. Suprisingly he did a pretty good job of it. He would use the turning plow to loosen up a bunch of dirt and then he would push the loose stuff into the low spots. The video the guy named Fastdirt made has been removed. Here's a video of a Sears guy moving dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQL7yxWAVA

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
....or just call up GT_80 and have him unleash Miss Emma Lee.

:D

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
I have had good luck moving earth with my moldboard and dozer. Not as good as an FEL or box blade, but better than a shovel. I imagine that a rear grader would work well.

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
I have used my rear blade to skim the surface and smooth things out. Getting the hang of how these things work can make all the difference in the world.

Oh, Hugh, I am only about 9614 discussion posts away from catching up with you. You might want to start thinking about stepping on it before I catch up with you. LOL!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
myself a dozer blade works just as well as a rear blade.... just drive the tractor is reverse when ya wanna get that smooth look to the dirt... same affect as the rear blade pretty much... i've never used a spiked harrow.... but if its a decent price def get it... never hurts to have it

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
Uh Oh!

PTSW is on my tail!

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,876 Posts
I want a Gannon in the worst way!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I missed on a 4 piece CL sale a few months ago: Grader blade, Gannon Earthcavator, Sickle Mower and a dozer......just typing that makes me feel ill.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,199 Posts

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
I was just gonna say how well an earthcavator will grab the dirt. You could probably use a 10 inch middle buster to loosen things up first. Then use an earthcavator to drag the dirt where you want to put it. Once the pile gets too high a loader would come in handy. A garden tractor will move some dirt but it can take a while. You might want to price renting a skid-steer, or a tractor with a loader. If you have a really big hill to move you might need a tracked loader and a dump truck. Can you post some pics of the hill you are trying to get rid of?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yah i can post some pics, the only problem with bringing a skidsteer and dump truck into this is the weight, its not a huge job but i can take my time on it. before the house was put here their was a farm and what i was told is that the bottom of the hill is extremely soft, and it was proven, my sears is just light enough to get through it but i rarely touch that section unless its frozen. when we first moved here about a year or two ago we went and seen how deep it was and you could easily stick a 3-5ft pole in that section with ease, so any thing heavier then my sears im a little skeptical about. thats why i figured if i got a rear grader blade i could back up and pull it up with out the cost of my sears or any other piece of equipment. but its mostly the top i need to worry about anyway which is easy.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.