My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I could use some help. I bought a 140H1 about a year ago, brought it home and tried starting it. Changed the oil, and it fired up easily enough. Was super loud (no muffler) and it smoked like crazy (blue oil smoke)

I parked it in the shed until I had time to mess with it. This weekend I finally had some time to look at it and found some rust in the tank. A few minutes with this and I had that cleaned out:

So I put in some gas and cranked. Nothing. No spark. Odd, it ran before...

I noticed the coil doesn't have any connections (other than the high-tension lead). I pulled out the wiring in the vicinity of the coil and took a pic:

I also found the coil had a terminal underneath that had broken off:

I have the original manual with a generic schematic but no wire colors:

I'm guessing the orange wire coming out of the engine is from the breaker points?

Anyone have any clues to help me wire this up? I can solder a wire onto the coil easily enough but which one? I tried to ohm out the wires to see if I could see the breaker point action but couldn't see the breaker... Maybe it was happening to quick? Or maybe none of these wires are from the breaker points. At one point I jumpered the white wire with the push on terminal to the coil. Still no spark...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Next step is to deal with the oil smoke. The previous owner said it ran fine when he parked it many years ago. I'm wondering if the rings are stuck and maybe some oil down the plug would free them? Any other thoughts? When it ran, it smoked really bad.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
745 Posts
I can't answer all your questions, but I can get you started in the right direction. From the pics I can see you have a '69 140 that had solid state ignition, not coil/points. The manual page you posted is for a newer 140 that has coil/points ignition, and does not apply to your tractor. You need a manual for a up to 30,000 140. If I find more info I'll post it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a manual for a early 140, and it does appear that your white wire with the connector should go to the coil. The orange wire coming from the engine would be from the coil trigger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solid state ignition... That explains the differences to my 140H3 30,000+ s/n That clears up some confusion, thanks.

I'll try hooking up the white wire again. By the time I tried that the battery was pretty low so maybe a full charge and hook that up and I'll get spark. Thanks again!
Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts