My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help. I have a 1948 8N named Joe. Joe was built in 1947. Steering is very bad. I can find all types of information on rebuilding boxes for 1949 and up. ...............Are the early 8Ns the same as the 2Ns? ................ Are the boxes close to the later 8Ns? ... And the difference between the two - if they are close? (http://www.ntractorclub.com/howtos/pdfs/Steering-Box-Late-8N-Steering-Rebuild.pdf)....... As I said on an earlier post, I do have a 49 and could just change boxes (should just bolt in, hope if i have to change the dash, I don't want to do it). I will rebuild the original if not too much (cost and time) involved in the rebuild. Thanks for all the help...Jeff

·
No Bozo's
127 Posts
Early and late are not interchangeable.

Early is straight cut gear and a slightly different geometry. Later is worm gear and the mating angles are different.

Is the looseness in the box for sure? Badly worn king pins can cause a lot of slop. In any event rebuilding the old box looks to be the route you are going. I can't remember if it was in a copy of the FO4 or the factory manual but I have seen a writeup on redoing it(the old one that is).

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Well that is not entirely correct, they will change but you have to change the dash support bracket also. Many have been upgraded to the later model steering box and many of the old style have been rebuilt.

Now what is it doing? hard to turn, slack/loose? There is not much but SOME adjustment for slack in the gears on the old style if that is your issue.

Disconnect the tie rods and make sure the trouble is indeed in the box and not the spindles or a combination of all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts