My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the hunt for my first lawn tractor. I’ll be on one acre. It will have a little bit of slope in the front yard. From what I gather the S240 is the sporty version? I am a bigger guy 6+ 300lbs. I am wanting to mulch. Can I just just buy the side attachment so it doesn’t spit grass and use the regular blades? I also have a gorilla cart I would like to pull the kiddo in behind me on the lawn mower. Could I pull the cart and cut grass same time? I am open to ideas suggestions. Max I want to spend is 2800 for the lawn tractor alone.

I’ve searched the forums, I see the s240 has a better seat, better deck, smaller tires, less horse power. With my situation which one would be more ideal
for me?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The S240 is better made tractor, better engine, better steering, and better mower deck. John Deere backs that up with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty vs the two years with E170

Drawback on both units is the tranny- if your slopes are gentle you’ll be alright, the better long term choice for you is a X370 or X380 preferably- easy to get into bracket creep with John Deere—but the X series is a step up quality all the way around, the K58 in X380 is much stronger tranny and the x series comes with 4 year bumper to bumper

·
Registered
412 Posts
S240 may be called “sport” but there’s nothing sporty about it. That’s not a knock on it.

Anyway, the S-Series shares the same riding mower frame as the E-Series, but as was mentioned, you get a better engine (don’t get sucked in to the HP claims), deck and an upgraded version of the transaxle. Yes, everyone rips on the entry level axles, but there are different versions of the particular axle (and not everyone is looking to spend $10-$15k on a new tractor like many people here think). It has a longer warranty which is important to some people as well.

The S240 is a solid choice for your first riding mower, especially since it fits in your budget. That said, if you’re at all handy and don’t mind wrenching here and there, a used machine such as a GT235 would be a significant upgrade and well within your price range. You could even step into a X300 series going used, but I don’t think you’d feel any better about that line compared to a new S240. Many will balk at that statement, but perception is reality for many, especially those just buying their first ever riding mower.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Either one should be capable of doing the job.

The S240 is still a K46, so not really a tranny upgrade over the E170. If you go with the 48" version, the S240 uses the same 48" deck as the X300 series, so that's a plus. The Kawasaki engine is also a plus - as mentioned above, don't worry about horsepower.

Personally, I think the seat on those higher 100-series models is more comfortable than the X300 open-back seat also used on the S240. That open-back seat also doesn't wear very well over time.

I think the decision will really come down to how much you want to spend and if you feel the engine, deck, and extra year of warranty are worthwhile upgrades for the extra money.

·
Premium Member
9,169 Posts
I agree, S240. HP means next to nothing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The S240 is still a K46, so not really a tranny upgrade over the E170.
It may be a K46, but it’s an upgraded version. Much like how the K71 had three different versions (A, B, C), so too does the K46.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Actually last I knew there was close to 50 different variants of the k46- with some major differences- like heat treated steel gears instead of powered metal gears etc- one of the reasons why you dont hear much about tranny burnout on 300 series tractors anywhere near as much as the lower priced tractors

·
Registered
412 Posts
50?! I can believe it, though. Every OEM probably has a spec they want. I just wish there were more details one could find on the variances between those in the Deere. Would help point people in the right direction rather than completely dismissing the rear altogether.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Honestly having owned a D130 which is the smaller brother to these machines I'd look for a used GT, 300 or 400 series. you will get way more machine for your money and they also ride nicer. if your lawn is less than football field flat the D130 would beat you up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info gents.
Now for mulching..... do I just need the side attachment so it doesn’t shoot? Do I really need to buy the mulching blade kit?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
thanks for the info gents.
Now for mulching..... do I just need the side attachment so it doesn’t shoot? Do I really need to buy the mulching blade kit?
If you mean the plastic plug that fills the discharge opening, no that’s not all. The mulching kit usually has some plastic stuff up under the deck as well. The proper mulching blades are also what makes it work. They have to have a enough lift to keep grass pieces in the air long enough for them to get chopped up small enough before they go to the ground. There are other blades like gators that have notches in them that helps break up the cut grass. A dealer should be able to give you a list of things needed.

You asked earlier if you could pull a small trailer for your child while mowing. Since the mower can throw things around, including sticks and stones, I would never recommend pulling your child while mowing, nor would I recommend they be in the yard while you are mowing. Consider a mower a tool like your car/truck. They can do a lot of things, but can be dangerous if children are around. Treat them with the respect they are due and you may avoid any serious harm to you or anyone else, especially your children. They are typically very inquisitive, but they need to be taught to respect the danger of them.

Hope you enjoy the new experience.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The mulch plug just covers the grass from coming out of the discharge chute - but it doesn’t actually do any mulching. The mulch kit adds and insert under the deck to create chambers for each blade. The mulching blades are designed the lift the grass higher so that it is cut in finer pieces - lifting higher it keeps the grass sort of floating in the “chambers” longer so it gets chopped more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
“What are going to do”Huh? As far as my child riding in a wagon. He’s going to jump out of the cart and do a Spider-Man roll and jump up. He will brush his arms off, say do it again. 🤣

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for your opinions and insight. I am leaning toward the s240. I’ll see what my dealer has in stock maybe consider something used but better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts