My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I know I skipped the introduction, but it's kind of important that I find out what's wrong soon. I'll just cut to the chase.

The lawn mower's engine turns over, but it won't catch. My aunt thought there was water in the line, but there wasn't. She's drained the gas out, changed the gas filter, and put new gas in. She's also changed the spark plugs. This mower was working fine last week. She's had another lawn mower (Troy-Bilt with an electric starter) that's had this same problem. She took it to get it repaired and they apparently "repaired the starter". It didn't work when she brought it back home either. So now, she has two riding lawn mowers, different manufacturers, same problem. She's only worried about the DYT 4000 though.

Any clue as to what could be wrong?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you say it dosent catch, do you mean it dosent turn over or it is not firing??:MTF_wel2:
She says that she means that the engine will turn over, but the lawn mower won't crank up.

Welcome to MTF prefuse.

Maybe the first thing to check is if your aunt's mower is getting spark. Do you know how to check for that? Does she know how?

Hang in here for awhile or check back often as we have some great members who are familiar with Craftsman riders!

Mark
Thank you very much for the welcome. Neither of us knows whether or not it's getting spark nor what that means haha. She doesn't have the owner's manual for it, but she'd looked somewhere and read that she needed to change the gas, change the filter, and change the spark plugs.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Instruction books can be viewed on the internet, at several locations. The instructions would have an electrical diagram that would help trace the problem, and help find the solution, possibly.

If the motor spins when you turn the key on, but the motor doesn't catch and run, sounds like there is a safety switch acting up. PTO in the proper position, seat occupied, clutch pushed in, gas turned on?

Another possiblity could be that the 'kill' wire from the ignition coil has grounded out someplace. My neighbor's lawn mower wouldn't run correctly. Come to find out, the 'kill' wire from the ignition rubbed agianst the fly wheel, and wore the insulation off. When the mower bounced, the engine would sputter and stop.

Sounds like the mower repair person who fixed the problem before, needs to make a 'house call' and fix the problem that he supposedly fixed before, at no charge. And make sure that the mower runs before he is let off the property.

Welcome to MTF, prefuse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts